Sometimes everything you need is a big bowl of hot, hearty and comforting soup. This Vegetable Beef Soup recipe is an undoubted winner. It features onion, celery, carrots, potatoes, red bell pepper combined with tender beef and drowned in the beef broth and red wine combo. How does it sound? The flavor is unbelievable!
For the past few days, the typical warm and sunny summer weather has been replaced by heavy rains and a strong wind. The thermometer is showing only 10˚C (50˚F) right now so I even had to take out my warm clothes from the wardrobe. Needless to say, I am not in a mood for salads, smoothies or any other refreshing stuff. What’s the best way to warm yourself up? The answer is obvious – a bowl of a hot, comforting soup. Today I cooked one of my favorite soups I made many times this winter – Vegetable Beef Soup. It’s so simple, yet so flavorful. Can’t wait to share it with you!
My hubby is a big fan of all kinds of soups. Mushroom, cabbage, beet, it doesn’t matter, he loves them all. This vegetable beef soup is in his top 5 undoubtedly (together with this Chicken Florentine Soup). That’s not my words, they came from his mouth this morning. I am in love with this hearty soup too. I can’t even explain what it is that I love about it. The ingredients are pretty simple (well, maybe except the wine), the process of making it is pretty straightforward too (requires one pot). Pure magic! I guess it’s the combination of all ingredients that creates such a fantastic smell and flavor.
It is called a vegetable soup for a reason. Every bowl of this goodness features onion, celery, potatoes, carrots, peas, garlic, parsley, and red bell pepper. How is that for a combination, huh? Then comes the beef and everything is drowned in the beef broth and red wine. You know what’s another great thing about this soup? It requires only 1/4 cup of wine, meaning that… You have plenty of wine left to warm yourself up a little bit while cooking! It reminds me of that amazing quote by Julia Child: “I enjoy cooking with wine, sometimes I even put it in the food I’m cooking.”
There is nothing more to add about this scrumptious vegetable beef soup. It has everything you need. Perfect for chilly days. Try it now and it will become one of your autumn and winter favorites. I can guarantee that!
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter , divided
- 1 lb (450g) beef stew meat , cut into about 1-inch cubes
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 medium potatoes , peeled and diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper , diced
- 8 cups beef stock
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 2/3 cup frozen green peas
- parsley , for garnish
- In a large pot, add 2 tablespoons butter and cubed meat. Cook for 4-5 minutes. Remove from the pot leaving the juices.
- Add the remaining tablespoon butter, together with the onion, celery, carrots, garlic, potatoes, bell pepper, and cook for about 8 minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, except peas and parsley, to the pot (beef, stock, wine, thyme, bay leaf, basil, salt and pepper). Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes. Add the green peas 5 minute before the soup is done. Remove the bay leaf before serving. Garnish with parsley. Enjoy!