Lately me and my hubby have been craving Asian food a lot. We are visiting local Asian restaurants at least once a week. Last time I had this delicious Vietnamese beef salad so I said to myself that I must try making it at home!
It is so freaking yummy! I absolutely love these thin juicy beef slices combined with silky & light rice noodles and fresh veggies. Ohh and this delicate Asian salad dressing adds its unique touch to this Vietnamese dish!
I used beef sirloin steaks but you can use whatever cut of beef you like. The same applies to lettuce – you can choose lettuce that are in season.
This salad is quite filling so it’s perfect for lunch or dinner. I’m really satisfied with the result so you will definitely find more Asian recipes in this blog in the future!
For The Beef Marinade:
For The Salad:
- 2 beef sirloin steaks about 1 lb or 450g total, trimmed of fat
- 4 oz. (115g) dried rice noodles
- 2 large handfuls of mixed salad leaves of your choice
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes , halved
- a handful of fresh basil leaves , torn
- a handful of fresh coriander leaves , torn
- 1/2 red onion , peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small fresh red chilli , thinly sliced
- For the marinade: combine soy sauce, fish sauce, sesame oil, garlic, olive oil, lime juice and pepper in a large zip-lock plastic bag and mix well. Add beef, seal bag and marinate in the fridge for as long as you can, at least 30 minutes, turning the bag occasionally.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat until hot. Cook steak for 3 minutes each side for medium rare or until cooked to your liking. The beef should still be pink in the center (or to taste). Transfer to a plate, cover and leave to rest for several minutes.
- Prepare the noodles according to package directions. Then drain and set aside.
- Combine the dressing ingredients together and mix until the sugar has dissolved.
- Evenly divide the noodles, salads, tomatoes, basil, coriander, red onion and chilli into four plates. Cut the cooked steak into thin slices on the diagonal and top over vegetables. Drizzle over the dressing and mix together well. Serve immediately.