This Chinese Bourbon Chicken is everything you need after a hard day at work. Instead of ordering take-out, invest only 5 minutes of your precious time and enjoy the lip-smacking dinner featuring sweet and sour chicken sprinkled with chives and sesame seeds. Yum!
Despite the fact that the title of the post says “Chinese”, the Bourbon Chicken I made today is as Chinese as you and me. It shouldn’t even come as a surprise because, if you think for a moment, China and bourbon have absolutely nothing in common. This beverage was born in the United States as well as a dish named bourbon chicken. Why it’s called Chinese then? Well, somehow it’s served in Chinese restaurants across the United States, that’s why. I am not sure how and why it’s happening, but who cares? It’s crazy delicious, that’s all I care about!
I found out about bourbon chicken a few years ago. While it’s not served in Chinese restaurants in my country, I stumbled upon it on Pinterest where it was / is really popular. Bourbon had been a frequent ingredient in my kitchen even before that, so I immediately loved the idea of drowning chicken in it. Actually, I even made it for the blog in 2014, but throughout these years I have improved the recipe and my photography skills (substantially), so I decided that it’s time to make a new post about this fantastic dish.
The dish itself is really simple and super easy & quick to make. It requires only 5 minutes of preparation + about 20 minutes of cooking time. Just cook some rice while the chicken is sizzling in a pan and you have a perfect dinner! It’s especially great for weeknights when there is no will to spend much time in the kitchen, but there is still a crave for something more delightful than a simple sandwich.
I make Chinese bourbon chicken quite often and recommend you to do the same. You won’t regret it, that’s for sure. That pleasant sweet and savory chicken taste will win your heart immediately. Sprinkle with some chopped chives and sesame seeds for that extra flavor boost and you are good to go!
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 lb (450g) chicken breast , cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- sesame seeds , for sprinkling
- chopped chives , for sprinkling
- In a wok or a skillet, heat the oil and add the garlic and ginger. Cook for a few seconds, stirring, so they don't burn. Add the chicken and onion and cook, stirring, until the meat is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, combine the bourbon, water, rice vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Pour the sauce into the skillet and stir well to coat the chicken. Keep cooking until the sauce thickens.
- Serve over the rice sprinkled with the sesame seeds and chopped chives. Enjoy!