Oh boy, this bourbon chicken is so delicious! I love using bourbon in cooking. It gives such a great flavor. But only in cooking. Actually, it is not my type of drink at all. So, even if you don’t like this drink (like me), you will still love this dish! I speak from my own experience. 😉
This glazed chicken is so very simple to make. First you need to marinate the chicken. The longer you marinate it, the more flavorful your chicken will be! Personally I prefer to marinate the meat overnight, but 4 hours works well if you’re pressed for time.
You’ll love the combination of sweet and savory flavors that blend nicely together. It is a perfect comfort food the whole family will love! I served the chicken over rice, but you can serve it with mashed potatoes or grilled vegetables. It’s up to you. I hope you enjoy and happy cooking!
- 1 1/2 lb (680g) chicken breast , cut into bite-size chunks
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sesame seeds , for garnishing (optional)
- chopped chives , for garnishing (optional)
- For the marinade: combine soy sauce, bourbon, water, vinegar, sugar, ginger, red pepper flakes, garlic and chopped onion in a large zip-lock plastic bag and mix well. Add chicken breast chunks, seal bag and marinate in the fridge for as long as you can, at least 4 hours, turning the bag occasionally.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken chunks and cook until the meat is no longer pink. Pour half the marinade over the chicken and and stir to coat. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook until the marinade thickens and the chicken chunks are caramelized on the outside, about 20 minutes.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and chopped chives, if desired. Serve over hot rice. Enjoy!