If you are looking for a weeknight dinner idea, look no more. This Chicken Spaghetti with Red Sauce and Prosciutto is exactly what you need. It is quick and easy to make + it’s finger-licking good!
Yup, I am on a pasta spree once again. I just can’t do anything with myself. Pasta is crazy delicious, it’s almost one-pot, and it requires so little time and energy! It’s P.E.R.F.E.C.T. Moreover you can come up with hundreds of combinations, and make your pasta look different every single time. That’s exactly what I do. I rarely repeat the same recipe more than a few times. Why do so if there are so many choices?
This time I filled my kitchen with the aroma of this beautiful Chicken Spaghetti with Red Sauce, Prosciutto, bell peppers, and other goodness. I love all kinds of pasta, but spaghetti will always be my favorite one. One of the reasons may be the availability of these noodles in my childhood. We didn’t have a big variety of Italian pasta at our local shops (no fettuccine, cannelloni, or others), but you were able to find spaghetti or penne.
I loved spaghetti served with sausages. In fact, all kids in my country go crazy over this kind of food (it’s like our fast food). That’s why my mom was making them quite frequently, and that’s how I got used to spaghetti! Even today I sometimes make myself spaghetti with sausages, but only if I am super lazy. I am not a kid anymore, so I love to add some veggies and other stuff kids don’t like, like I did with this Sausage Kale Pasta.
Back to the chicken spaghetti I made today. The sauce turned out fantastic. I am a fan of red sauces, while my hubby always chooses a white one. This time, however, it was my turn to pick the pasta sauce, so I made this red beauty by mixing canned tomatoes, prosciutto, bell peppers, garlic, white wine, thyme, oregano… You should be able to smell this wonderful aroma just by reading the ingredients!
Definitely one of the best pastas I made lately. Even my hubby, who is not a fan of tomato-based sauces, agreed that this chicken spaghetti with red sauce is way better than the one we made with a white sauce last week (it wasn’t good enough for the blog). If you are too lazy for something big and time consuming, but still want to treat yourself with a nice dinner – this chicken pasta is exactly what you need!
Chicken Spaghetti with Red Sauce and ProsciuttoPrint Pin Rate
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb (680g) boneless skineless chicken breasts or thighs
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 2 bell peppers , sliced
- 3 oz. (90g) prosciutto , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , chopped
- 1 14.5 oz. (400ml) can chopped tomatoes , with juice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 lb (450g) spaghetti
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste and cook over medium-high heat until brown, about 4 minutes per side. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the bell peppers, prosciutto, and cook for 5 minutes, until the ham is crisp. Add the garlic and cook for a minute more.
- Add the tomatoes together with all the juice, wine, thyme, oregano. Return the chicken to the skillet. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20-30 minutes, until the meat is cooked through.
- In the meantime, cook the spaghetti according to the package directions.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove it from the skillet and shred it. Return back to the skillet. Stir in the parsley and add the cooked spaghetti. Toss until coated. Enjoy!