This Italian Sausage Kale Pasta features mushrooms and is cooked in a tomato based sauce. It’s a comfort food at its best, but kale also brings a bunch of benefits making it healthy at the same time!
Remember that kale craze that spread like wildfire among food bloggers few years ago? EVERYONE was making recipes with kale: soups, stews, salads, smoothies, and the list goes on and on. I hated it. No, not the kale itself. You can’t close your eyes to all the health benefits it comes with. I hated the fact that out of nowhere one veggie was getting all the attention while other, also super healthy ones, were undervalued. But… I will be frank with you. Despite the hatred, I jumped on that kale train because of two reasons:
I wanted to find out what’s so magical about this leaf cabbage
My readers asked for kale recipes on the blog
That’s how I ended up making these three recipes with kale, and I won’t lie – I loved every one of them.
Especially I enjoyed kale in various pastas. I made quite many of them during the last few years, they just didn’t make the blog. However, today I tried a completely new combination and it was SO GOOD I just can’t (it would be a crime) not to share it with you, guys! Meet this scrumptious Sausage Kale Pasta with mushrooms and plenty of tomatoes. A total winner!
First of all, let me say that I adore Italian sausage. Spicy, sweet, or any other type, it doesn’t matter. I love all of them. Italian sausage is a frequently used ingredient in my pastas. I like to mix it up: one day I use chicken, the other day it can be ground beef or pork, the third day I go with a sausage.
But you know what? I always say that you have to keep trying different things to keep it interesting. Not only in food, in our every day life too. That’s why when I saw a bunch of the beautiful kale leaves at the farmers market yesterday, I immediately thought about adding them to my sausage pasta. I have never tried it before. It appeared, that I am not the first one (what a surprise) who thought about such a combo. People make pastas with sausage and kale, so this combination seems to be working well!
This sausage kale pasta also features mushrooms which are a fantastic addition to this dish. Oh and don’t forget about a big can of tomatoes! All the ingredients combine to create an unforgettable experience to your taste buds. I can’t even imagine a person who wouldn’t love this pasta. Seriously, I can’t. Make it and please tell me in the comment section below if you liked it!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage casings removed
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 pound button mushrooms sliced
- 1 can peeled 28oz or 800ml, crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch of kale about 4 cups, stems removed, chopped
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound farfalle pasta
- grated Parmesan cheese for sprinkling
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- In another large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook until golden, breaking it into bite-sized pieces. Remove the sausage from the pot using a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the same pot and cook for few minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes more, until onions and mushrooms begin to brown. Add the canned crushed tomatoes with all the juice, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and the sausage.
- Meanwhile, blanch the kale in the salted boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove it using a slotted spoon and add straight to the mushroom-tomato-sausage mixture. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Lastly, stir in the heavy cream and remove from heat.
- While the sauce is simmering, cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain, add to the sauce and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top and serve. Enjoy!