Do you want an idea for a delicious and healthy weekday dinner? This Thai Pineapple Fried Rice has everything you need. This Asian dish features chicken, so it’s filling, but is also stuffed with veggies, so it’s super healthy!
Yesterday, after looking at my photos that were made few days ago, I decided that it’s time to change something. I gained some weight, and even though I was pregnant, it’s not an excuse anymore. My food choices are far from perfect. Pastas, desserts, fried food. Come on! I need to pull myself together. Various diets are not an option. First of all, I am against the majority of them. Second, I am still breastfeeding. What I talk about here is just to avoid all fast food, sugary stuff, and move towards healthier dishes. Are you with me? Let’s do it!
There is no better place to look for healthy food than the cuisines of Asian countries. Asian food is lower in carbohydrates and cholesterol; Asians also almost don’t eat sweet things and processed foods. Such a diet has numerous benefits. One of the most obvious ones – the high life expectancy. Asians live longer, because there are less overweight people and less people with heart diseases there. Have I convinced you yet?
As you all probably know, the main ingredient in the Asian diet is rice. It is full of healthy carbs, easy to digest, and is gluten-free. Rice is one of the main reasons why Asians are so healthy. That’s why I want to start my healthy journey with this fantastic Thai Pineapple Fried Rice. You might have seen this dish in the menus of Thai restaurants. It’s crazy delicious, filling, and healthy at the same time! By the way, it’s not the first Thai rice dish on this blog. Few years ago I made this mouth-watering Mango Sticky Rice, which was a huge hit.
I saw that sometimes Thai pineapple fried rice is served in pineapple shells, so I wanted to recreate this unique way of serving the dish by myself. The result exceeded my highest expectations. The rice served this way looks more exotic, scrumptious, and it’s just beautiful! I can already imagine serving it to my friends and family. They will be in awe!
The taste of this Thai fried rice is fantastic. Pineapple, chicken, rice, veggies, cashews, and spices create a heavenly flavor together. This dish literally has no flaws at all. It is perfect as a light, healthy weekday dinner, as well as served at parties or on other occasions. Especially, if served in pineapple shells. Sorry, now I am off to eat the remaining bits, if my hubby left me some!
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked jasmine rice , or any other rice
- 1 fresh ripe pineapple
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil , divided
- 1 medium onion , finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 lb (225g) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup cashews , roasted
- 1/2 cup tomatoes , seeds removed, cubed
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- green onions , for sprinkling
- fresh cilantro , for sprinkling
- Cook the rice and let it cool.
- Meanwhile, cut the pineapple in half lengthwise and hollow each one of them. Remove the core, which is in the center of each half. Cut the flesh of the fruit into small chunks.
- In a pan, heat the oil, and add the garlic and onion. Cook for a minute or so, until fragrant.
- Add the chicken, and cook until browned and cooked through.
- Make a space in the middle of the pan, and beat in the eggs. Quickly stir fry to scramble.
- Add the cashews, tomatoes, and rice. Mix well.
- Add the soy sauce, fish sauce, curry powder, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss, until the rice and chicken are evenly coated.
- Stir in the pineapple chunks and peas. Cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- Serve in the pineapple shells, sprinkled with some green onions and cilantro. Enjoy!