Sometimes everything you need at the end of the day is a comforting pasta dish. This Chicken and Shrimp Carbonara is hearty, rich, and super creamy. Packed with protein, it’s guaranteed to become a hit with your family!
After a bunch of vacation-inspired recipes, I am back with a good ol’ pasta dinner. My last posts might have painted a wrong picture that I’m eating only fresh fruit, veggies, seafood and other gorgeous stuff here, in Tenerife. Well, that’s not entirely true. Or should I say, that’s not the case at all.
Let’s be frank, it’s hard to cook something awesome every single day. With the ocean nearby and the sun shining bright, you surely don’t want to spend long hours in the kitchen. Sometimes a quick and easy dinner is everything you want.
Plus, while fresh veggies and fruit are totally awesome, my body craves something comforting from time to time. I feel I should get a medal just for avoiding fast food with McDonalds and Burger King on every corner here, so my stomach definitely deserved its dose of comfort!
This Chicken and Shrimp Carbonara ticks all the boxes. It’s easy to make + with all the creaminess and richness going on here, you are guaranteed to fulfill your hearty food crave!
I came up with this recipe accidentally. My hubby asked for Chicken Carbonara (it’s one of our favorites) while we had some shrimp in the fridge. Being afraid that another day of waiting will make them go bad, I decided to throw them inside (we LOVE shrimp in pasta) . Simple as that!
Only after that I saw that Olive Garden has such a dish on their menu and people are looking for copycat recipes. Sorry if you are one of them but I have never been to this restaurant (we don’t have one in my country) so I can’t even imagine how it tastes like. However, even without trying it, I will take a risk to say that my Chicken and Shrimp Carbonara is not worse!
Featuring bacon, Parmesan cheese, chicken, shrimp, and flavored with basil and parsley, this Italian-inspired pasta dish will give you that needed comfort after a long day at work. As if that wouldn’t be enough, chopped walnuts and grated lemon peel on top make this dish shine even brighter!
It’s funny that I actually forgot to add walnuts and lemon peel when I made this carbonara the first time. I had them ready but somehow totally forgot about em. That’s why they are missing on the photos (sorry for that). However, I did try this chicken and shrimp carbonara with walnuts and lemon next time (it was too late for a photo session) and loved the crunchiness and flavor these guys added!
There is nothing more to add. You’ve got to be sold by now! Seriously, guys. If you love a good creamy pasta, this is it. Packed with chicken and shrimp, it makes a perfect high-protein dinner your family will absolutely love!
Creamy Chicken and Shrimp Carbonara
- 1 lb (450g) shrimp , peeled and deveined
- salt and pepper , to taste
- paprika , to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 oz. (115g) thinly sliced bacon , chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 12 oz. (340g) spaghetti
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 cups shredded chicken (about 1 medium rotisserie chicken)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts , toasted
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel
- Lightly season the shrimp with salt, pepper, and paprika. In a large skillet, heat the tablespoon olive oil and cook the shrimp 1-2 minutes per side until fully cooked. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil and cook the bacon and garlic until crisp, for about 8 minutes. Let cool.
- Cook the spaghetti according to package instructions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, mix together the cream, Parmesan cheese, egg yolks, basil, and parsley.
- Add the chicken to the pan with the bacon and stir. Add the pasta and the cream and egg mixture and stir over a medium heat until the chicken is heated through and the sauce thickens, for a couple of minutes.
- Add the cooked shrimp, mix well, and cook for a couple of minutes more. Do not boil the sauce!
- Season with salt and pepper if needed. Sprinkle with the walnut and lemon peel. Enjoy!