Do you love Italian Cuisine and flavors? So do we! Pasta, pizza, risotto, spumone, tiramisu… Ohh… I’m dying thinking about that! Yesterday we had some Italian food at home. Chicken Carbonara with a glass of white wine… Oooh totally yum yum!!
If you don’t know it yet, carbonara is one of the most popular Italian pasta dishes. Traditionally, spaghetti alla carbonara is made with cheese, eggs, and pancetta or guanciale, but I decided to make some little changes. I had leftover prosciutto, so I used that up. To make this meal more tasty, I added chicken and I think this is definitely my new favorite pasta dish! It is sooo delicious! I promise you will lick your plates clean!
Love the creamy sauce. It’s similar to the Alfredo, but it incorporates beaten eggs and bacon. You should try this version of carbonara. I’m sure this will become your family’s favorite too! Creamy, rich, yummy, flavorful and easy to make – a perfect meal when you have a craving for special dishes from Italy!
- 2 eggs plus 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese , plus more for serving
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon olive oil , divided
- 4 ounces prosciutto , thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 1 shallot , diced
- 1 lb (450g) chicken breast , cut into thin strips
- 1/2 lb (225g) dried spaghetti
- 2/3 cup peas , fresh or frozen
- salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and egg yolks. Add the heavy cream, Parmesan, lemon zest and parsley, and whisk to blend. Set aside.
- Cook the spaghetti in the salted boiling water until just al dente according to package directions. Drain.
- Heat two teaspoons of olive oil in a heavy large frying pan over medium heat. Add the prosciutto, garlic and shallot, and saute, stirring occasionally, until fat begins to render, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the same pan. Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper, and stir-fry on medium heat until the chicken is cooked through, about 7 minutes. Turn the heat on medium-low. Add prosciutto and stir to combine. Next, add the spaghetti, egg and cream mixture and peas, and toss over medium-low heat until the sauce coats the pasta thickly, about 4-5 minutes (sauce will thicken as it stands). Do not boil! Taste, and season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Divide the pasta between four bowls and finish each with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!