You just got from work, you are feeling tired, but your stomach craves something comforting. Familiar situation? Don’t worry, I got you covered. This Chicken Spinach Pasta packed with feta cheese takes only 30 minutes to make and requires only 7 simple ingredients!
From my last posts, you can make an assumption that I am a true chicken maniac or chickenaholic, ha ha! 90% of my last recipes are made with poultry. What can I do guys, it’s my favorite accessible type of meat. I am a fan of salmon too, but, unfortunately, it’s too expensive to have it more than a few times a week.
That’s why I usually end up making my weeknight dinners with chicken. Having given up on desserts lately (I’m trying to get fit), dinners are everything I can show you, my dear readers! Well, except the occasional appetizers and snacks.
This time I am back on the pasta train with this crazy delicious Chicken Spinach Pasta loaded with feta cheese. I was tired of spaghetti, so my choice fell on fettucine (flat thick noodle). They combine so well with all the ingredients! Oh, I forgot to mention lemon juice, which adds that citrusy kick I can’t live without.
The recipe itself is really quick and easy to pull together. You can even make it one-pot by cooking noodles in a skillet. I, however, cooked them in a pot (that’s how I am used to) and threw in a skillet later, when the chicken and spinach were already cooked. If you like a little heat, add some red pepper flakes at the very end.
There is one more reason why this chicken spinach pasta is going to be a frequent guest in my kitchen. That’s the only way I can feed spinach to my hubby. He hates it in salads (what’s to hate, I can’t get it), while cooked spinach is totally up his alley. Why I care about him eating spinach in the first place? Have you seen the nutritional profile of this bad boy?
How’s the taste? What you expect me to say? That tender chicken, chewy pasta, fresh spinach, and creamy salty feta combined together in one skillet are not good? Not even a slightest chance! That’s the dinner my hubby would love to come home to every single day. Yup, that’s exactly what he said after slurping a few noodles from his twice-as-big-as-mine bowl. Try it and you will see what he is talking about!
- 10 oz. (280g) fresh fettuccine or linguine noodles
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion , thinly sliced
- 10 oz. (280g) boneless skinless chicken breast , diced
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 8 oz. (225g) fresh spinach
- 1 cup (115g) crumbled feta cheese
- lemon juice from 1/2 lemon
- Cook the noodles according to the package directions, either in a skillet, where you will prepare the rest of the dish, or in a separate pot. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water and set aside. Drain the pasta in a colander and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
- In a skillet, heat the oil and cook the onion for a few minutes, until it starts to soften. Add the chicken, season to taste, and cook for a few minutes more, until almost cooked. Add a little of the reserved cooking water to loosen brown bits from the bottom of the skillet. Start adding spinach, in batches, and cook, stirring, until it has wilted.
- Return the cooked pasta to the skillet. Add the feta and lemon juice. Toss until feta has melted a little bit. Enjoy!