This Peanut Butter Chicken is an excellent choice when you need some variety. The tart nutty taste of peanut butter goes so well with poultry taking it to another level. Dip it into a Yogurt-Dill sauce and your taste buds will thank you!
Feel free to laugh but I tried Peanut Butter Chicken for the first time in my life only somewhere a month ago. They don’t serve it in our Asian restaurants like they do in some other countries like the States. Without them, there wasn’t even the slightest chance that an idea to combine peanut butter and chicken will cross my mind.
I do love peanut butter and it’s a staple in our house. I add it to my oat porridge, farmers’ cheese, on a toast, like all people do. Never to main dishes, though. What was my surprise when I saw on some TV show a guy combining poultry and PB in one dish!
At first, I thought that it’s some sort of an experiment or a crazy thing only a small circle of people enjoy. Andrew Zimmern shows plenty of such dishes in his “Bizarre Foods” series (love this show!). But after a few more minutes of watching the show, it became clear to me, that this dish is highly popular in many countries all around the globe. I felt ashamed that I hadn’t known that combo before and made a promise to myself that I’m making it the very next day. It’s better later than never right?
When I was preparing peanut butter chicken the next day, I already started believing that it will be awesome. Somehow my opinion switched and I stopped thinking that this combo is strange. Chicken + peanut paste. Why not? If so many people love it then it has to be a success! And it surely didn’t let me down. The chicken was fantastic! Where have I been all my life?
After that, I made peanut butter chicken like five times more. That’s how much I and my hubby loved it. Every single time I tried different recipes until I found the one that is perfect to me. First, I put the chicken on skewers. Second, I make the delicious yogurt-dill sauce for dipping. SO GOOD!
Oh and it’s not even so heavy on calories like you would think. It’s only about 250 calories or so per portion without the sauce. Perfection! I still can’t get enough of this new-to-me dish. Now my peanut butter jars will be getting empty even faster. If you have never tried this combo before, just like me, don’t be afraid. It’s really finger-licking good!
P.S. Loved these? I also recommend you to try these Chicken Shish Kabobs with Yogurt and Red Onion Dip!
For the chicken skewers:
- 2 lb (900g) boneless skinless chicken breasts , cut into 1-inch cubes
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
For the sauce:
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
The chicken skewers:
- Soak wooden skewers in water for 20 minutes. Weave the chicken onto the skewers, season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- In a saucepan, add the peanut butter, broth, water, soy sauce, garlic, lemon juice, brown sugar, ginger, and cayenne pepper. Cook, stirring, until smooth.
- Spray a grill pan with cooking spray (indoors). Place the skewers on it and brush with the peanut butter sauce. Cook for 5-7 minutes on one side until browned, then turn, brush once again with the sauce, and cook for another 5-7 minutes until the meat is cooked through. Serve sprinkled with cilantro alongside the sauce.
- In a small bowl, combine together all the sauce ingredients and stir well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.