This easy chicken potato green bean bake is a tasty sheet pan dinner that only takes 10-15 minutes of your time. Let the oven do the heavy lifting tonight with this simple, low prep dinner.
This recipe was originally published on November 9, 2016, and was republished in October 2021 to add better quality photos, re-test the recipe, and add more helpful tips.
I originally made this recipe years ago when I was feeling lazy but still had to prep something for dinner because there was literally nothing to eat in our house. No leftovers, no ingredients for a sandwich whatsoever, no snacks, nothing! Like we say in our country (I don’t know if it’s international or not) – a mouse hung itself in the fridge. I had to work with the few things I could find and hope it tasted good.
Thankfully for us (and you) the recipe that came out of it was a delicious and easy chicken potato green bean bake. It’s so simple to make, and since potatoes are available all year, and you can use fresh or frozen beans, it’s a winner no matter the season.
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- You only need 10-15 minutes of active time and then the oven does the rest.
- It’s a complete meal in one pan that can serve the whole family.
- It can be made anytime of year with seasonal green beans, or frozen ones.
Since this came from an empty fridge night, it doesn’t take anything fancy or complicated to make it. For this quick and easy chicken potato green bean bake you’ll need these ingredients.
- Bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs – Thighs are juicy and the skin gets crispy – they’re so good. But use the cut you have because this recipe will be delicious anyway.
- Lemons – One juiced and one sliced
- Olive oil
- Garlic – minced
- Dried oregano
- Dried thyme
- Fresh parsley – minced
- Baby red potatoes – You can use any small baby variety, fingerlings, or a cubed large potato.
- Green olives – Make sure they’re pitted, I used canned.
- Green beans – If you’re making this in summer or early fall use those fresh seasonal green beans, or just use frozen.
- Salt and pepper – to taste
The first thing to do, if you have the time, is to get the chicken marinating. Just combine the juice of one whole lemon, all of the olive oil, except 1 tablespoon, plus the garlic and all the herbs into a bag or container.
The chicken will benefit from as long as you can give it. If you think far enough ahead, you can even do it the night before! I recommend an hour at least if possible, but it’ll still taste great if you give it just a few minutes while you prep the rest of the meal.
When it’s done marinating and you’re ready to cook, preheat the oven to 425°F and lightly grease your largest baking sheet.
Next, arrange the chicken across it. Make sure it’s skin side up so it roasts and gets crispy. Drop those potatoes into the remaining marinade and coat them well, then spread them out around the chicken. Add the lemon slices and green olives.
Roast it all together for 20 minutes. Then, just before that time is up, toss the green beans in the remaining olive oil with some salt and pepper. Arrange them on the pan around the chicken and put it back into the oven for another 15-20 minutes. The chicken should be cooked to 165°F.
Let it rest for 5 minutes or so, and if you have any leftover parsley, sprinkle it across the top.
Serve up your easy chicken potato green bean bake and enjoy your low stress meal. If there happen to be any leftovers, just store them in the fridge for 3-4 days, and enjoy an equally easy leftover lunch.
I love when creating meals from what I have on hand turns into a delicious recipe like this sheet pan dinner. I hope you enjoy it and check out my other easy one pan meals for more lazy night inspiration!
- One-Pan Cheesy Pasta Bolognese
- Pomegranate Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
- One Pot Pad Thai
- Almond Crusted Cod Sheet Pan Dinner
Sheet Pan Chicken, Potato, and Green Bean Bake
- 6 chicken thighs , bone-in and skin on
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 lemon , sliced
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil , divided
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley , chopped
- salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- 1 lb. (450 g) baby red potatoes , halved or quartered(depending on the size of the potatoes)
- 1 cup green olives , pitted
- 8 oz. (225g) green beans , fresh or frozen
- Put the chicken thighs in a big ziplock bag. Add the lemon juice, 1/3 cup of olive oil, garlic, oregano, thyme, parsley, 1 teaspoon of salt, and ½ teaspoon of black pepper. Close up the bag and toss well. Leave for about an hour to marinate (optional).
- When the chicken has marinated, preheat an oven to 425°F (220°C). Lightly grease a large baking sheet and arrange the chicken on it. Add baby potatoes to the same ziplock bag and toss with the remaining marinade. Arrange them on the prepared baking sheet along with the green olives and lemon slices. Roast for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the green beans with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with a little salt and black pepper.
- Add the green beans to the baking sheet along with the chicken and potatoes and roast for 15-20 minutes more, or until the chicken reads 165 F (74C) degrees.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.