Creamy coconut-based chickpea and spinach curry is a bowl full of bright flavors like turmeric, lemon, and seasonal greens. This warm, delicious curry can be made in just 20 minutes, flatbread included, for a quick weeknight meal the entire family will love.
On those busy days when a home-cooked meal just doesn’t seem possible, these tasty curried chickpeas with spinach can save the day. It’s perfect for getting dinner on the table in a hurry, just 20 minutes, with a homemade flatbread included.
Coconut milk and curry is a flavor combination I loved in my curried broccoli and thai cauliflower soup. This time I paired it with Indian flavors to create a creamy, spicy curry. It’s naturally vegan and loaded with protein-rich garbanzo beans, fresh spinach at its seasonal best, and a generous spoonful of turmeric and curry powder that combine for quick, but big flavor.
Why this quick curry will be an instant hit
- 20 minutes from start to finish, prep, cooking, and even making the bread included.
- Vegan curry and vegetarian flatbread make this a great meatless meal.
- Stores very well for a quick lunch the next day.
- Healthy spices and legumes paired with seasonal spinach make this good for you!
This recipe is so easy to make thanks to a low-prep ingredient list that packs in the flavor. The bread is equally easy, no yeast in sight for this 20 minute meal! Aside from basics like oil and salt, you’ll need:
- Onion – a large one, halved and then sliced into thin half moons.
- Garlic – 2 cloves, minced finely.
- Turmeric – a very healthy, very flavorful spice that creates a gorgeous yellow color as well.
- Curry powder – pre-made curry powder is a timesaver. There are many types out there, so use an Indian style curry powder you enjoy.
- Red pepper flakes – Just a little pinch adds a perfect spice.
- Canned chickpeas – chickpeas and garbanzo beans are the same, grab either can, it’ll work!
- Coconut milk – Go for a full fat can of coconut milk, not a carton from the dairy aisle.
- Spinach – This spring green is so nutritious and easy to cook, it wilts perfectly in just moments.
- Lemon juice – a splash of acid compliments the spices and richness of the coconut milk.
While your curry is simmering away on the stove, it only takes a bit of salt with these three ingredients to make a flatbread dough.
- Flour – Just a cup of all purpose is all you need for 4 flatbreads.
- Baking powder – this creates rise without yeast, and is essential.
- Greek yogurt – moisture and fat all in one, and key to a quick and easy homemade flatbread.
This is not an authentic Indian flatbread of course, but the dough comes together and cooks quickly, keeping this meal a fast one. It’s perfect for soaking up the curry and cooks quicker than rice.
If you have 20 minutes, you can make this recipe for dinner any night of the week. The prep work is a dream! Just half and slice the onion thinly, mince garlic, and drain and rinse your chickpeas. That’s all it takes to get cooking.
Start with oil in a hot pan. Add the thinly sliced onions and stir occasionally, just until they’re softened, no more than 5 minutes. To that add in the curry powder, turmeric, pepper flakes and minced garlic and stir until it’s all very fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Next add in the chickpeas and the coconut milk. Bring it all to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes to let the flavors marry.
While that’s happening, mix the yogurt, flour, baking powder and salt for the bread together. It’ll create a sticky dough. Divide it into four, and roll it out on a floured surface. Use a large, heavy bottomed pan or cast iron skillet and cook the flatbreads for just 2 or 3 minutes on each side.
After 10 minutes, return to your curry and add in the spinach and lemon juice. Taste and add salt if needed. Then, let that cook just long enough for the spinach to wilt, and serve with a piece of that fresh flatbread.
Storing and Reheating
Leftover curry is great for lunches! Just store leftovers in an airtight container and either reheat on the stove or in the microwave. You can even make lunch prep bowls like I did with my cajun chicken salad, it’s great with a bit of rice.
Next time you’re in a pinch for dinner, don’t forget to try this really easy, really fast, and best of all, really tasty chickpea and spinach curry. And, when you’re ready for another quick meal inspiration, check out these other fast cooking recipes!
- Baked Vegan Quinoa Patties
- Chicken Spinach Pasta
- Artichoke Pesto Pasta
- Chili Lime Shrimp Stuffed Avocado
Creamy Chickpea and Spinach Curry
For the curry:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion sliced into halfmoons
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 15 oz. (400g) can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz. (400ml) can coconut milk
- 2 oz. (60g) spinach
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
For the Indian bread:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 3-5minutes. Add the garlic, turmeric, curry powder, and red pepper flakes and cook 30 seconds more, until fragrant.
- Add the chickpeas and coconut milk. Bring to a boil and simmer about 10 minutes. Stir in the spinach, lemon juice, and salt (if using). Cook for 1 minute more.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl until the mixture pulls together into a dough. It will be sticky.
- Heat the heavy iron cast skillet or a simple thick bottom skillet until hot.
- Divide the dough into 4 parts and roll out on a floured surface into rounds that will fit your skillet. Cook 2-3 minutes per side. Serve with the chickpea and spinach curry.
SafiyaJune 19, 2021 at 6:23 pm
Love chickpea curry. Going to have to try this recipe soon. It looks wonderful!
NatalieOctober 3, 2022 at 8:02 am
One of my favorite chickpea curry recipes. Kids love it, husband loves it and it is simple to make, thanks!
MahyOctober 3, 2022 at 9:17 am
I love this curry! I mean, I don’t think I’ve seen a better curry recipe than this. The consistency is absolutely beautiful!
IevaOctober 3, 2022 at 9:49 am
Brilliant recipe! So quick to make and we loved how creamy and filling it was! Really nice change from our usual curries, and just perfect for a meat-free dinner! Will definitely make it again soon 🙂
FarahOctober 3, 2022 at 9:51 am
I’ve been wanting to make some more veggie curries, and I love the idea of chickpeas and spinach! Two of my favorite things to eat. Can’t wait to try this out thanks for the recipe!