If you crave something sweet, but are too tired (or lazy) to spend time in the kitchen, these Chocolate Rum Balls are exactly what you need. They feature Oreos, walnuts, and three different coating options and require no oven time at all!
My husband is a huge fan of all kinds of sweet things. He can’t live a day without them. I mean, I love them too, but this guy can sell his kidney for a box of chocolates. Ha ha, I have no idea how I managed to come up with this phrase! Oh well, I will leave it here. Back to my hubby. One of the reasons why he can eat donuts, candies, chocolate and other stuff every day is that he doesn’t put on weight. The lucky bastard. The man has the same weight for 5 years now; it’s not moving anywhere. At the same time, I eat few small, like a fly, candies and the next morning my weight goes up! Ah, what you gonna do.
The thing is, before our child was born, I enjoyed making all kinds of homemade sweets for my hubby. You can check out my dessert category to see all the treats I made throughout these years. Nowadays I don’t have enough time to keep making sugary things for him, but I still like to surprise the man from time to time.
When our little baby boy occupies all my attention, I go with quick no-bake desserts. Like these cute Chocolate Rum Balls, that are made from Oreos and walnuts. They are so easy to make, you wouldn’t believe. Just throw the ingredients in a food processor, pulse, refrigerate the mixture for an hour, and you can start forming the balls! Easy peasy. Even my 1 year old boy would make them if he was able to stand firmly on his legs!
You can coat these chocolate balls in anything you like. I made three different versions: chocolate sprinkles, coconut sprinkles, and chopped nuts. The taste? They are amazing! These rum balls are not only super delicious, but also look really nice. Perfect for serving when guests come over.
But the biggest discovery for me was that you can throw Oreos in a food processor and get the absolutely new dessert. I mean, think about it. If guests come over and you serve them Oreos on a plate. Not too sophisticated, right? But if you take the same Oreos, process them, and make these pretty chocolate balls, everyone will love them! Despite the fact that it will be the same Oreos, ha!
P.S. My husband loved these chocolate rum balls. Not even slightly surprised.
- 23 Oreo cookies
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons honey
- ⅓ cup rum
- chocolate sprinkles, for coating
- coconut sprinkles, for coating
- chopped nuts, for coating
- Combine the Oreos, sugar, cocoa powder, chopped walnuts, and salt in a food processor and pulse until finely ground. Add the honey and rum and pulse again until blended. Transfer the mixture to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and leave for 30-60 minutes in a fridge.
- Remove from fridge and use a small ice cream scoop or just a tablespoon to scoop the chocolate dough and make the balls by rolling them between your palms. If the dough is sticky, moisten your hands with some water.
- Roll each ball in coatings of your choice. Place the chocolate balls in airtight containers in the fridge and let sit for up to 1 day for the flavors to develop. Enjoy!