I am still on my berry craze. Hardly a day goes by without me having some kind of summer berries! This time I decided to make a raspberry blueberry crumb cake because I still have a bunch of raspberries from the last visit to my mom’s garden.
The idea to make this crumb cake was the best one I had in a while! I planned to freeze few bars but it was so popular with my family that everything quickly disappeared from the table. I guess I will have to make another batch for freezing!
Raspberries + blueberries + delicious crumble topping = summer yumminess! I didn’t expect it to be soooo delicious but it exceeded all my expectations. I am thinking about it right now and drooling… My hands are itching to make more of this cake right now!
Are you with me?
For The Filling:
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- juice of 1 lime
For The Crust:
- 1 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
For The Topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup brown sugar , packed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , cut into pieces
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease or line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and lime juice. Carefully stir in the blueberries and raspberries. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, vanilla, lime zest and salt, until creamed. Slowly mix in the flour until combined and the dough starts to turn into a ball. Evenly distribute the dough over bottom of prepared pan and press lightly to hold in place. Spread the berry mixture over the bottom crust.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, sugar and salt. Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to cut in butter until mixture forms coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the berry mixture and bake for 50-55 minutes, or until the top is a light golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes on a wire rack. Transfer to the refrigerator to chill for 2 hours before cutting into bars (otherwise it will get messy).
You can freeze these bars as well for up to two months, letting them come to room temperature before serving.