There are no words for how amazing and delicious these homemade apple cinnamon rolls are. They are soft, they are fluffy, they are moist, flavorful, ooey-gooey and… chocolatey! Yes, I’m serious – these rolls are a slice of Heaven!
Who doesn’t like a fluffy cinnamon roll filled with yummy goodness?! I do! Love them with a glass of cold milk. Or with coffee in the morning. Or simply on their own.
Love them, because they always taste good! 🙂
I took some step-by-step photos to show you guys how I made them. These rolls take a little time and a little work to make, but they are worth EVERY MINUTE! Trust me, you really need to try them. So, let’s start working.
First, you have to make a yeast dough. Don’t be afraid, it isn’t hard at all. Just follow the directions and everything should be fine.
The dough should be kept in a warm place while rising. I like to turn on the oven for a minute, then turn off and place the dough in the oven to rise. After 40-50 minutes repeat the same procedure – turn the oven on for a minute, then turn it off again.
The result: after 1.5 hours we have a good yeast dough. And it wasn’t too hard to make. 😉
Now it’s time to spread the yummy filling over the dough and roll it up tightly beginning at the short side. Then slice the cylinder into 10 evenly sized rolls. For that you will need a very sharp knife. Or you can slice it with some unflavored dental floss. Yes, a dental floss!
Place the dental floss under the rolled dough, 1 inch from the end. Then bring the floss up around the dough and cross it over the top (as seen in the photo above), cutting through the dough and filling. It’s very easy and the result is great!
Place the rolls in the prepared baking dish. I baked them in two dishes but it’s always better to bake in one large. Make sure that the rolls don’t touch each other. I placed them again in the warmed oven to rise.
I promise they will rise up beautifully as in the photo below!
We’re almost done! Now is the time to place our rolls in the oven and bake. Mmmm… The kitchen smells like cinnamon which is so nice!
While baking, you can prepare the white chocolate ganache. You should know that it thickens on cooling, so if the ganache will be too thick, you can heat it in the microwave for A FEW SECONDS.
Our cinnamon rolls are done! It’s time to taste them…
So YUM! Cinnamon, apples, walnuts and white chocolate – a super duper tasty combination!!! I know you will love them too!
Don’t drool over your keyboard. What are you waiting for?
Go ahead and make these rolls on your own! 😉
- 1⅔ - 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1¼ teaspoon instant dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, divided
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 oz. white chocolate, chopped
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Dough: To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine 1 cup of flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Set aside. Heat the milk at a low power in the microwave until it's lukewarm to the touch (about 120-130 F degrees). Add the warm milk, butter, egg and vanilla to the flour mixture and mix at low speed until all ingredients are combined, scraping sides of bowl frequently. With a wooden spoon, stir in the remaining flour, ⅓ cup at a time until the dough begins to leave the sides of the bowl. Don't over-flour the dough - it shouldn't be sticky, but should be soft.
- Now, place your dough on a lightly floured surface and knead it with your hands until it is smooth, elastic and springs back when pressed (about 5 minutes). Form the dough into a ball and transfer it to a lightly greased bowl. Cover with plastic-wrap and let sit in a warm place for about 1.5 hours, or until it doubles in size.
- Filling: As the dough is rising, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan. Add the apple slices and saute until soft, for about 5 minutes. Drain the apples and set aside to cool. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, chopped walnuts and cinnamon.
- Rolls: Grease and line a 9x13 inch baking dish with parchment paper. After dough has doubled in size, place it onto a lightly floured surface and begin to roll it into a 13x10 inch rectangle. Butter the dough with 2 tablespoons of softened butter and sprinkle with a half of the brown sugar mixture. Then spread the apples on top and sprinkle with the remaining brown sugar mixture. Roll the dough up tightly beginning at the short side and seal well by pinching edges of roll together.
- With a very sharp knife or dental floss cut the roll into 1-inch thick slices and arrange them in the prepared baking dish. Rolls shouldn't touch each other. Cover with plastic wrap and let them rise in a warm place for about 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees. Bake the rolls for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until slightly golden-brown on top.
- White Chocolate Ganache: While rolls are baking, prepare the glaze. Microwave chopped chocolate in 15-second intervals until chocolate is almost melted. Stir to fully melt and set aside. In a small saucepan, heat heavy cream until just about boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat, pour hot cream over chocolate and stir to blend well. Using the electric mixer, beat the chocolate mixture for several seconds.
- Once the rolls are baked, allow them to cool for about 5 minutes. Drizzle the chocolate ganache over the rolls and serve. Enjoy!