If you are a fan of banana bread, you have to try these Chocolate Banana Bread Brownies. Featuring walnuts, these little guys are dense, moist, and comforting. Perfect with a big mug of cocoa or a cup of coffee!
It’s not a secret that I am a banana bread fan. I am pretty sure I already told you that when writing about my Moist Banana Bread or Banana Walnut Bread. These two are frequent guests in my house. Not lately, though (I am trying to watch what I eat reducing the amount of sweet stuff), but somewhere around once a month the desire to enjoy them beats my willpower. There is nothing wrong in having some sort of a dessert once a week (right?). The most important thing is to eat healthy the majority of the time and you’ll be good (my personal theory).
However, like with all things in life, the same stuff gets boring over time. That’s exactly what happened yesterday. I kinda wanted the same taste of banana bread but with something extra. Something to raise it to another level… Chocolate! The idea popped in my mind almost immediately. Plus, this time I decided to go with brownies instead of the typical bread shape. That’s how these Chocolate Banana Bread Brownies were born!
These little guys are really easy to make and require only a few simple ingredients. Chocolate, bananas, walnuts (nuts are optional so you can leave them out if you want to) and such staples as butter, flour, and sugar. That’s it!
The taste is magical and it’s not surprising at all keeping in mind that this recipe was created by the owner of New York City’s legendary Fat Witch Bakery Patricia Helding and shared in her book “Fat Witch Brownies”. Great book if you are a sucker for a good brownie!
Why Bananas Are Good For You?
While writing this post, I have developed a thought that banana may be my favorite fruit ever. Seriously, I eat them every single day. If we run out of these yellow guys, either me or my hubby restore the stock right away. The interesting thing is that bananas wouldn’t even make my top 10 of the most delicious fruits out there. Pineapples, watermelons, peaches, and others are way tastier (for me), juicier, fruitier!
BUT. There is a big fat BUT. Bananas, on the other hand, are more filling, energizing, plus they are available all year long. At least in my country. I can’t get normal ripe watermelons in winter while there is always an abundance of bananas in the local supermarkets. They also combat depression, protect against diabetes and an array of other illnesses, and even make you smarter! There are even more reasons to enjoy this favorite monkey food.
Combined with chocolate and walnuts, bananas create a party in your mouth! You don’t need an occassion or any special day to enjoy these banana bread brownies. Feeling good? Make them. Feeling bad? Make them. These brownies with a big mug of cocoa or a cup of coffee will make any day brighter!
Chocolate Banana Bread Brownies
- 3/4 stick (3 oz. or 90g) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup or 4.5 oz (130g) semisweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate
- 3-4 ripe bananas , mashed (you should get about 1 3/4 cups mashed bananas)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs , slightly beaten
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)
- Prepare a 9x9-inch baking pan by greasing it with butter and dusting with flour. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a small saucepan, over very low heat, melt the butter and chocolate (stir frequently). Set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, add the mashed bananas and mix them with the vanilla and sugar. Add the eggs and mix until combined.
- Sift the flour and salt into the banana mixture and once again mix until combined. If using walnuts, stir them in. Mix in 2/3 of the chocolate and butter mixture until just incorporated.
- Spread the mixture in the prepared baking pan. Drizzle the remaining 1/3 of the chocolate and butter mixture on top. Using a spatula, move in and through the mixture to create chocolate streaks.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!