Chocolate Salami is definitely not a sausage stuffed with chocolate. It’s a mind-blowing dessert packed with cookies, pistachios, and almonds! Crunchy and sweet, this chocolate log is guaranteed to become your favorite!
Do you know what Chocolate Salami is, guys? No, not a chocolate flavored sausage. Not at all. In fact, it’s a dessert. A very very delicious one! The resemblance with salami is obvious, though. The shape and the cookies and nuts replicating the fat do their thing!
My mom used to make this chocolate log all the time when I was little. It was a WIN-WIN situation for all of us (her and me with my sisters). Crazy delicious (that’s what we wanted) and SUPER easy to make (any moms’ dream). Kids are happy, the mother is happy, the father is happy because the mother and kids are happy, LIFE IS GOOD!
When I say that this Chocolate Salami is easy to make, I am probably even overestimating it. Literally anyone can make this goodness! I probably used this joke before in my posts but even my one-year-old baby boy would nail this one. Jokes aside, this chocolate log is no-bake and requires only 15-20 minutes of your active time.
The interesting thing is that different variations of such dessert logs can be found all around the world. While I consider my version to be Russian (I believe that it has spread from there to other Soviet Union countries) I read that they are also popular in Portugal and Spain. Recipes are quite similar but there are some significant differences. For example, my mom’s recipe uses sweetened condensed milk while Spanish version uses more sugar instead. I tried making Chocolate Salami without condensed milk but it’s just not as good!
After a couple of grueling hours of waiting for the log to get ready in a fridge, you get a sweet, crunchy (it’s packed with pistachios and almonds), and chocolatey perfection. I can guarantee that you’ll be hooked at first bite. I’ve still yet to meet a person who wouldn’t love this heavenly dessert!
P.S. I’ve started making vids for some of my recipes to keep up with other bloggers. I hope you’ll enjoy this Chocolate Salami video!
Chocolate Salami (No-Bake Dessert)
- 3.5 oz. (100g) dark chocolate
- 5 oz. (140g) unsalted butter
- 5 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 14 oz. or 400g can sweetened condensed milk
- 7 oz. (200g) mixed nuts (I used pistachios and blanched almonds), chopped
- 13 oz. (360g) digestive cookies or tea biscuits , broken into small pieces
- powdered sugar , for rolling
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler until smooth. Add the sugar and cocoa and mix well. Add the condensed milk and mix once again until smooth.
- Combine the cookies and nuts in a bowl and pour the chocolate mixture over them. Mix until everything is covered in chocolate.
- Divide the mixture between two sheets of parchment paper and roll it up. Twists the ends. Let sit in a fridge for at least 3-4 hours, the more the better.
- Before serving, cover the logs with powdered sugar. Enjoy!