Apples here, apples there, apples everywhere! Local markets are flooded with fresh juicy apples – red, green, yellow… It’s that time of the year when nature dresses in beautiful colors and invites us to enjoy again the fall baking season! And, what’s a fall season without a warm slice of apple cake?
I can’t imagine it without this homey and comforting cake, brimming with juicy apple slices in every single bite. It’s one of the simplest recipes you could imagine, with the irresistibly delicious results. It’d be a sin not to make this perfect fall dessert, especially when my mom sent me a bag of her own freshly picked apples!
The cake requires very few ingredients that are usually around the kitchen. At this point, you may ask, why this cake is so special? Maybe it’s because it reminds me so much of the version my mom used to make us when we were growing up. Maybe because sometimes, less is more – you get a wonderful taste without having to buy tons of ingredients.
Unbelievably moist and tender, loaded with fresh fall apples… Really, how could you not love that? 😉
Enjoy your fall baking!
P.S. Check out this One Bowl Apple Cake which requires only 15 minutes of prep time and minimal skills!
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 large apples , peeled, cored and sliced
- powdered sugar to dust
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 12 x 9-inch baking pan and set aside.
- Melt the butter in the microwave and combine with the sugar. Add in eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each one. Add vanilla.
- In a mixing bowl, combine together flour, baking powder, and cinnamon. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and mix until combined and smooth. The batter will be very thick, but that's ok.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared baking pan. Using a palette knife, spread to make an even surface and place apples in a single layer over the top. Gently press them into the batter. Spread the remaining batter over the top and carefully lever the surface. Scatter the rest of the apple slices over the batter and press them lightly into the surface.
- Bake for about 45–55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar.