Let’s put the cards on the table. Unless it’s that day when you feel like spending time in the kitchen and creating something elaborate, in most cases, we are all looking for as easy recipes as possible requiring as minimal dishes. Especially if you don’t have a dishwasher, like me.
That’s when this one bowl apple cake comes to the scene. It requires minimal skills and takes only 15 mins to throw together. Even a kid can pull it off. Oh, and the taste. It’s heavenly. Served warm, this cake is great for chilly and rainy fall and snowy winter days.
Long time no see, guys! I’m super busy lately so the blog, unfortunately, suffers. I know I know, it sucks, but bear with me.I am working on getting back to the normal schedule.
The positive thing, though, is that the lack of time doesn’t stop me from raiding farmer’s markets.
Stalls are packed with fall goodies. Pumpkins, cauliflower, broccoli, brussels sprouts, pears, cranberries, and the list goes on and on depending on your location. All in abundance. A true delight for my eyes!
Oh, and of course an absolute number 1 on my list – apples. I never leave a market without at least 5 pounds of them.
Sometimes, when I stumble upon a great selection of apples, I lose my mind. My hands, unconsciously, start stuffing them into a bag. Deep inside I know that my fruit bowls at home are already brimming with these round guys but this thing is totally out of my control.
That’s exactly how it all ends up with me having loads of apples that have been sitting around for a few too many days in my possession. Sounds like a problem? Uh-uh. Not at all.
Awesome things you can make with not-so-great apples
- Kompot. Nope, there is no mistake here. Not Compote. K.O.M.P.O.T. A sweet beverage popular in Eastern Europe which can be made with almost any fruit and berries you prefer. I usually make mine with apples and add some dried fruit instead of sweeteners. It’s actually funny that the majority of you may know Compote and most probably have never heard about Kompot before, while for me it’s vice versa.
- Baked apples. The smell, when these babies sizzle in your oven, is out-of-this-world.
- Applesauce. An obvious one. When any fruit or berry gets way past its prime, I make a jam, sauce, or puree. Easy, delicious, practical!
- Muffins. There is nothing better than an apple muffin with a big mug of cocoa on a rainy fall day. Idyllic.
- Cookies. Nothing to say here. Just try my salted caramel apple pie cookies and I guarantee you that they will be a hit!
That what was on the top of my mind. I’m sure there are dozens of other great ways to use up those apples.
Oh, wait. There is one more… The star of this post…
15-minute Prep One Bowl Apple Cake
This cake made me pull myself together and write this post for you. YES, it’s that great.
A friend of mine recommended me to try this one. She said: “I found this apple recipe online (I was sold already when I heard the A-word)… The cake… I tried it and it’s awesome. Oh, and it’s one bowl if you care”.
DUH. IF I CARE? I have been so swamped with all the dishwashing lately that I would sell a kidney for anything one bowl.
Anyway, I tried this gorgeous cake. 3 times. In a week. Let me break it down why it’s so great.
By the way, the original recipe is from Telegraph. I have changed some things, though.
Why you absolutely have to make this cake?
- This cake is all done in one bowl. Oh, sorry. You will still need a baking dish. There is no way around that. Why do I emphasize that? *Incoming rant* I am shocked how many people call their recipes “one bowl” and then use two, three, or even more dishes. I mean, why? Why would you do that? It makes me sick to my stomach. “Rant ends”. So, yeah. This apple cake is a pure one-bowler.
- There is no better way to celebrate fall. Seasonal apples rock!
- This cake is best served warm so it’s perfect for chilly and rainy fall and winter days. “Perfect” is even an underestimation. More like HEAVENLY.
- There is a reason I called this apple cake effortless. It’s so easy to make even my 2-year old boy would be able to throw it together. You just have to dunk all the ingredients in a bowl and mix them up. Then, pour into a baking dish together with sliced apples. Not a rocket science, that’s for sure.
- I will repeat myself but any apples go for the cake. Windfalls, shriveled, any. A great way to turn something that you are probably thinking to discard to something your taste buds will thank you for.
So, what do you think? Is this one bowl apple cake worth trying? To me, the answer is obvious. Not every day I stumble upon something that’s SO easy to make + needs minimal cleanup + is SO delicious. Go make it and you will thank me later.
Super Easy One Bowl Apple Cake
- 1 1/2 cups (190g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (30g) almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup (150g) butter , melted
- 1 lb. (450g) apples , peeled and sliced
- 1/3 cup (20g) almond flakes
- powdered sugar , for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 320°F (160°C).
- Butter and flour an 8-inch springform cake tin.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, almond flour, and baking powder well. Add the sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, and melted butter and beat for a minute.
- Spread the half of the mixture into the prepared pan. Arrange the sliced apples on top (mostly towards the center). Spoon the remaining mixture over the apples trying to cover the center well (it will spread out during the baking process).
- Sprinkle with the almond flakes and bake for 60-90 minutes until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let it cool a little bit before removing from the pan. Sprinkle with the powdered sugar and enjoy!