This Creamy and Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti Bake is a comfort food at its best. Really easy and quick to make, it is guaranteed to put a big smile on your face after a hard day at work!
After a few weeks of mild weather, winter hits back with a bang. I love this time of the year but not when it’s zero snow and cold as hell! It’s so freezing here that I don’t even want to think about sticking my nose outside. And you know what? I don’t have to! I’m still sitting at home with my 1-year old baby boy while my hubby is the only one who supports our family. Poor him. I try to help as much as I can doing all the chores and surprising him with a comforting dinner when Adam (our kid) lets me prepare it, ha!
When winter is showing her fierceness, all I can think about in terms of food is something warm, hearty, and comforting. Like this Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti Bake I made today!
The trick is to pretend that you are making it for your poor, tired hubby and that otherwise, you would treat yourself with a healthy low-calorie kale salad. Yes, yes… Let your man think that while putting a big slice of this goodness into your plate!
Parmesan and mozzarella are my best friends for beating the winter blues. Seriously. Melt them on whatever you are eating and the mood goes up like a rocket! I guess it works for my hubby too. He looked way happier after devouring a big bowl of this cheesy chicken spaghetti than he was when I greeted him at the door after a long day at work. Cheese = happy people!
The best thing about this spaghetti bake is that it’s super easy and quick to make. Even if your kids are, citing Drake, on their worst behavior, you should still be able to pull it off and make your beloved one (and yourself, of course!) happy. I got hungry again just writing this post! Ok, guys, I am off to the kitchen to polish one more plate of this yumminess. Make this one!
Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti Bake
- 12 oz. (340g) . spaghetti
- 1 lb (450g) boneless skinless chicken breast , diced
- 1 teaspoon herbs de Provence (optional)
- salt and black pepper , to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese , divided
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese , divided
- ground nutmeg , to taste
- chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley , for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C). Lightly coat a large baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook the spaghetti in a pot of boiling salted water according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, season the chicken pieces with salt, pepper, and herbs de Provence, or any other herbs you have. In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and cook the chicken until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour until smooth. Add the milk and chicken broth, gradually, whisking constantly until smooth. Stir over medium-high heat until the sauce has thickened a little bit. Reduce the heat and add 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg, to taste. Remove from the heat.
- Toss together the cooked chicken, pasta, and the sauce. Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Bake for about 15-20 minutes until the cheese melts and begins to brown. Let stand for 10 minutes. Garnish with the parsley and serve. Enjoy!