These Broccoli Pancakes are a healthy and delicious alternative to their potato cousins. Also filled with Parmesan cheese and spinach, these pancakes are not to be missed even by those who are not too fond of broccoli!
You won’t find too many meatless recipes on the blog because I kinda can’t live without meat. My lunch or dinner feels incomplete if there isn’t at least some meat on my plate. Yup, I am a carnivore. However, just like with anything in this world, there are exceptions. Such recipes as baked ziti with ricotta cheese, cream cheese stuffed peppers, spinach egg muffins, or other vegetarian dishes posted on the blog (whopping 15 out of 204 in total) are so perfect that I can forgive the lack of pork, beef, or chicken in them.
Today I want to share another meat-free recipe with you, guys, which is able to make me vegetarian at least for one or a few meals. Broccoli pancakes! If you are not a huge fan or broccoli and you are sitting with a horrified face right now, let me calm you down. These pancakes also include spinach, parmesan, scallions, and eggs, so the taste of broccoli is not too overpowering at all. And if you forgot why you need to eat this green veggie, here you go. In short: tons of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
In fact, these broccoli pancakes resemble potato pancakes. At least to me. They are so good that I even tried feeding them to my 1-year old son who is not too fond of broccoli or other veggies. Not a chance, though, ha ha! This little guy is not so easy to trick. I will have to try harder next time!
Seriously, guys. If a die-hard carnivore recommends these veggie-packed beauties, they HAVE to be good. Oh, I totally forgot to mention that these are also baked instead of fried. A healthy stuff! However, they can also be pan fried if you want to.
Serve theses broccoli pancakes with a dollop of yogurt and some chopped scallions on top. Perfection! I haven’t even planned on starting this year in a healthy way (contrary to other people) but somehow it happens naturally. I guess my body is just asking me for something lighter after a heavy holiday eating. Well, I am not resisting!
Baked Broccoli Pancakes with Spinach and Parmesan
- 1 1/2 cups (150g) chopped broccoli
- 4 cups (140g) packed spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup (30g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 scallions , chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Steam the chopped broccoli for about 4-5 minutes. In the meantime, heat the olive oil in a skillet and saute the spinach for 3 minutes, until wilted. Transfer to a cutting board and chop.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs with the baking soda, flour, panko, and Parmesan cheese. Add the steamed broccoli, spinach, and half of the scallions and mix well.
- Form 8-10 pancakes on the baking sheet leaving some space between them. Bake for 10 minutes on one side, then flip and bake for 2 more minutes. Alternatively, fry in a pan until golden.
- Sprinkle with the remaining scallions and serve either topped with some yogurt or plain. Enjoy!