Today we are going to the beautiful, sunny, vibrant Thailand! It’s one of those places on our planet that can really be called a paradise. Unfortunately, I haven’t had a chance to visit this breathtaking country yet, but I am 100% sure that I will! You just have to see this fantastic scenery at least once in your life. For now, I will travel there from my kitchen table. Let me present you this finger-licking good mango sticky rice.
It was my first time making this beauty and it came out sooo good! The real name of this authentic Thai dessert is Khao Niaow Ma Muang, but I will just call it mango sticky rice, ha! It is basically a fresh mango with sweet coconut sticky rice. It’s sort of a Thai pudding. I saw this recipe on TV and immediately decided to make it. Just wasn’t able to miss such a great looking dish!
I am actually a huge fan of mango so I already knew before making this dessert that it will make my taste buds dance like crazy! I could put mango on literally anything and eat it with a happy face. Seriously. One of the most delicious fruit on Earth for me. Top 5 for sure.
The recipe itself is super simple, very quick and easy to make. It is made in just 30 minutes while the actual active time is only 10 mins! Isn’t it awesome? Following the recipe, I used jasmine rice in place of the usual Thai sticky rice, which added authentic flavor to this very simple but exotic dessert.
I really like this dish because of it’s delicious simplicity – rice, sweetened with coconut milk and sugar, and served with sliced mango and mango puree. Garnish with lime zest, and voila – you can enjoy your delicious creation! Serve it warm or at a room temperature. I’m sure you’re going to love this tropical dessert!
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine rice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 large ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted, and sliced thin
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- Rinse rice and drain well. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan with a tight fitting lid over medium heat. Add the rice and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in sugar. Pour in the coconut milk and water. Bring to boil. Stir and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 18-20 minutes, until the rice has absorbed the liquid and is tender. Remove from the heat and pour into a lightly greased 8-inch square pan. Spread the rice in an even layer and let to sit.
- Meanwhile, drizzle sliced mangoes with lime juice. Reserve 16 to 20 mango slices for garnish. Place the other slices of mangoes in blender and blend until smooth.
- Cut the rice into 4 squares. Place a square on a plate and lay 4-5 slices of mango on top. Drizzle with mango puree and garnish with lime zest.