Yes I know, maybe it sounds weird, but I put quinoa in a muffin… in a chocolate muffin. Actually, this is a whole new taste & texture experience for me. And I loved it!
These cute muffins are so good. Moist, soft, perfectly sweet, chocolatey, chewy in the middle and crunchy on top. No cardboard-taste here! I tried to make them as healthy as possible but still being delicious. Like you all like.
These little guys made with whole wheat flour, quinoa, coconut oil, and bananas are full of goodness to start your day. The chewy texture and nutty flavor of the quinoa goes well with the sweetness of the banana and the bitterness of dark chocolate. Yes, these muffins are insanely good and a huge success!
I love baking muffins because they are easy & quick to make and are perfect as breakfast or snacks on the go. The other reason – I adore single serving things!! They are so cute to me. And these are no exception! Except one thing – it’s hard to resist eating just one… 😉
For the muffins:
- 1 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cooked quinoa , cooled
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil , melted
- 1 large ripe banana mashed (you should get about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or chunks
- 1 medium ripe banana , diced
For the crumble topping:
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cooked quinoa , cooled
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter , cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin pans with paper liners or coat with cooking spray. Set aside.
- To make the crumble. Add the flour, brown sugar, quinoa, and cinnamon in a medium bowl and mix until combined. Rub in the butter with your fingers until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in the walnuts. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder, lemon zest, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in the cooked quinoa, making sure it's completely incorporated with the flour mixture. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, vanilla, coconut oil, and mashed banana. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Gently stir in chocolate chips (chunks) and diced banana.
- Spoon muffin mixture into prepared pan, filling each cup 3/4 of the way full. Sprinkle each muffin with crumble topping. Bake for about 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!