These Frittata Muffins are perfect for breakfast, brunch or even a light dinner. They are filled with sweet potatoes, spinach and prosciutto. A must try recipe for everyone who is tired of the same fried eggs in the morning!
Let me start this post by saying that breakfast is, hands down, my favorite meal of the day. I can’t understand those who skip the morning meal or call a small cup of coffee their breakfast. It’s crazy! How you do get the energy for the day? I mean, your body and brain need fuel to start moving! At least mine.
I can’t get anything done or, to be more precise, I can’t even wake up properly until I put something in my stomach. On the weekdays it is usually either a porridge or a cereal, while on weekends I love to make something more interesting. Often it’s eggs. Fried, deviled, boiled, in a form of an omelet, you name it. But, as it usually happens, repetitive recipes get boring over the time and you want something new. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want a piece of meat or a soup for breakfast, I am fine with the eggs. I just want them to be made differently. That’s all I ask for!
That’s why I am always looking for / creating new egg recipes. The one I made yesterday was so good, so delicious, so interesting, that I immediately decided it needs to be shared with you, my dear readers! Meet the fantastic looking Frittata Muffins packed with sweet potatoes, spinach and prosciutto! What an amazing combination, I have to tell you. Sweet potatoes and eggs are meant to be together. Spinach is always on point. Oh and prosciutto. Love it! If you avoid meat for dietary reasons just omit it. This muffin tin frittata won’t lose it’s fantastic taste because of that, believe me!
When I was making these little guys, I wasn’t sure how they’d turn out. I have never made anything like that before. But after taking a bite of this goodness I couldn’t believe how great it tasted! I’m serious. I’m not overreacting. Yes, it requires a little bit more time to make than a simple fried egg, but in the end you are awarded with something amazing. I can’t even imagine a person who won’t love these frittata muffins. My hubby ate six of them and asked for more!
If you aren’t a fan of breakfast, you can always make these frittata muffins for brunch or even for a light dinner. It’s not strictly a breakfast dish. Just don’t sleep on this recipe! You will thank me later.
- 6 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small (12-14oz) sweet potato, cut into small cubes
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, diced
- 4 oz prosciutto, chopped
- 1 loose cup baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a muffin pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, salt and pepper until blended. Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and onions and cook for about 3-4 minutes, until onions are golden. Add the sweet potatoes and thyme. Cover and cook for 8 more minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes begin to soften. Add the red bell pepper and cook 4 minutes more. Stir in the prosciutto. Add the spinach and cook for 2-3 minutes, until wilted. Lastly, add the garlic and cook for another 1 minute. Spoon the vegetable mixture into the muffin pan, distributing it evenly. Top every one with 3-4 tablespoons of the egg and cheese mixture. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Let cool for few minutes and remove your individual frittatas from the muffin pan. Enjoy!