There are days when I am so tired I can barely hold my head up. Especially now, with my little baby boy. My husband is helping me as much as he can, but he still needs to work. In such days, I still want to throw in my mouth something tastier and healthier than a simple sandwich. That’s when one pot dishes come to rescue! I don’t know what I would do without them. Today I want to introduce you to this super simple but also finger-licking good and healthy Chicken Cabbage Stir Fry.
I was so tired and lazy I didn’t even use my wok to make this one. A simple skillet does the job perfectly! I will be frank with you. When I started making this stir-fry I wasn’t even sure if it was going to be any good and I definitely wasn’t sure if it will be a good fit for the blog. 10 minutes later all my doubts vanished. It turned out heavenly delicious, and look at these colors! Red, green, orange… Amazing! This view alone lightened up my mood!
I don’t know the exact origins of this dish, but from the information I found in the internet, it seems to be Chinese. No surprise, keeping in mind that stir frying was invented in this country. Thank you so much, China! You know what I love the most about this chicken cabbage stir fry? The addition of peas. It was unexpected but they fit so well here! Moreover, they are super healthy. Tasty + healthy. That’s my favorite combo.
This stir fry is my new favorite dinner right now. I am going to repeat it many times, no doubts about it. Now let’s repeat one last time. Chicken, cabbage, carrot, peas, red bell pepper, shallot, scallion. All thrown into one skillet. And you are done. It’s so simple even my 6 months old boy would be able to do that! Ok, ok, kidding, but you got the idea. Make this one and enjoy!
P.S. I can’t believe that it’s my first stir-fry recipe on this blog in 2.5 years. Crazy!
Chicken Cabbage Stir FryPrint Pin Rate
- 1/2 lb (225g) skinless chicken breast , cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil , divided
- 1 shallot , chopped
- 1 bell pepper , cut into strips
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 medium carrot , cut into strips
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas , thawed
- 1 scallion , sliced
- sesame seeds , for sprinkling
- In a bowl, combine cornstarch, lemon juice, soy sauce, ginger and chicken broth. Add chicken and let marinate for 15 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok. Drain chicken, reserving marinade, and add to the skillet. Stir fry for about 4 minutes, then remove to a plate.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in the same skillet and add the shallot. Stir fry for few minutes and add the bell pepper, cabbage and carrot. Cook until cabbage wilts, for about 4 minutes more.
- Add the marinade, together with chicken and peas. Stir fry until sauce thickens and chicken is cooked. Garnish with scallion and sesame seeds. You can serve it over cooked rice or enjoy it as a standalone.