This delicious and diverse collection of yuca recipes shows how incredibly versatile it can be! Enjoy inspiration from different techniques and international flavors all in one place.
There are an amazing amount of delicious recipes you can make with simple yuca root. Both traditional preparations from across the world and creative, new flavor combos can transform a simple root veggie into a tasty meal.
It’s an ingredient we love in our house. From mashes and fries to sweet desserts, I’m always excited to discover new ways to enjoy it. This amazing collection of yuca recipes is the perfect inspiration when you want to give something new a try. Check them out to find yummy dishes that use it to its full potential.
Yuca Root Tips
If you’re not practiced at cooking yuca, then these tips will help you pick and prepare them more easily and enjoy the flavors that much sooner.
- Firm, unblemished roots – It’s important to only pick yuca that’s hard. There should be no cracks, blemishes, or signs of mold. It’s equally important that the flesh is a creamy white. No black spots or veins.
- Always cook it – Yuca, much like potatoes, can be toxic when consumed raw. It must be cooked or processed into a flour (tapioca flour) in order to use it.
- Peel it and remove the core – There are two outer layers that need to be removed, both the woody exterior and the pink layer underneath. The middle also has a fibrous core that should be cut away. Remove it raw or after cooking.
With these tips you’ll be prepared to tackle any of these yuca recipes with excitement. With such a fantastic, versatile ingredient as yuca, I’m sure you’ll find many to love!
1. Cuban Yuca con Mojo (Yuca with Garlic Sauce)
This classic Cuban preparation of Yuca Con Mojo is something you’ll be thrilled to try at home. Simply boiled yuca root tossed in a flavorful citrus garlic sauce is a no-fuss side dish with huge flavor.
Recipe by: Yummy Addiction
2. Yuca Mash with Garlic and Thyme (Mashed Cassava)
A creamy, buttery yuca mash is a delicious variation of traditional mashed potatoes. You’ll love this thyme infused mashed cassava as an anytime side dish all year long.
Recipe by: Yummy Addiction
3. Pulled Pork Yuca Tots with Cilantro Garlic Sauce
Yuca, aka cassava, turned into tots topped with juicy BBQ pulled pork and cilantro garlic sauce!
Recipe by: A Sassy Spoon
4. Cheese-Stuffed Baked Yuca Balls
A great option to dazzle your guests are this Cheese-Stuffed Baked Yuca Balls, a combination of soft, buttery cassava root and melted cheese.
Recipe by: Dominican Cooking
5. Crispy Baked Yuca Fries (Gluten-Free, Vegan)
These crispy baked yuca fries are the perfect side dish, appetizer or snack. Cooked in the oven till crispy perfection, these yuca fries taste delicious with our favorite easy garlic aioli, our 5-minute Sriracha chili sauce, or cilantro lime crema.
Recipe by: Dish by Dish
6. Cassava Bibingka
This version of cassava bibingka features a combination of grated cassava and fresh coconut baked in banana leaf. The snack cake is finished with a sweet coconut cream topping.
Recipe by: The Little Epicurean
7. Yuca Fritters – Carimanolas
You will love this crunchy and creamy Latin treat! Carimanolas are a yuca dough filled with a tasty spiced meat mixture that is fried into a fitter. These are very popular in Panama and Colombia.
Recipe by: Ethnic Spoon
8. Colombian Chicken Sancocho (Sancocho de Pollo)
Sancocho de Pollo, a hearty soup almost like a stew, is a traditional dish in the Antioquia region of Colombia that combines potatoes, yuca, corn, plantains, and chicken.
Recipe by: Skinnytaste
9. Traditional Filipino Cassava Cake
Cassava cake is a traditional Filipino snack cake made with grated cassava, coconut milk, and a layer of molten custard on top. The cake has a soft, slightly chewy texture similar to Hawaiian mochi butter cake and is gluten-free.
Recipe by: Hummingbird High
10. Cheesy Baked Yuca Pie (Pastelon de Yuca)
Give your weeknight dinner a Latin twist and make this delicious Baked Yuca Pie filled with shredded chicken and topped with lots of cheese.
Recipe by: Living Sweet Moments
11. Yuca en Escabeche (Cassava in Olive Oil & Vinegar)
Boiled yuca marinades in an olive oil and vinegar sauce with onions, red peppers, and olives. The result is a light refreshing flavor that is still filling and comforting.
Recipe by: The Noshery
12. Accra Banana – African Banana Fritters
Accra Banana is basically African Banana Fritters – Bananas combined with grated cassava (yucca root) then fried. The result is crunchy-on-the-outside, tender-on-the-inside balls of perfection that are to die for.
Recipe by: Precious Core
13. Nicaraguan Vigoron
Nicaraguan Vigoron is boiled yuca (cassava root), topped with crispy pork rinds and a cabbage and tomato slaw. It’s great as an appetizer or light dinner!
Recipe by: The Candid Appetite
Bammy -A great tasting vegan, and paleo Jamaican flat bread made with grated cassava, dipped in coconut milk and fried until golden brown.
Recipe by: African Bites
15. Cassava Cake with Custard Topping
Cassava Cake with Custard Topping made with grated cassava and coconut milk. Soft and moist with a creamy flan topping, this classic Filipino treat is the ultimate snack or dessert. And it’s naturally gluten-free, too!
Recipe by: Kawaling Pinoy
16. Hearty Plantain & Yuca Stew
A warm and filling meal, this hearty allergy-friendly Plantain & Yuca Stew is inspired by Sancocho, a traditional stew found in multiple Latin American cuisines.
Recipe by: The Open Cookbook
17. Cassava Cake with Shredded Coconut
This cassava cake is coated with shredded coconut. It’s a Malaysian kuih recipe. It’s sweet, dainty and delicious!
Recipe by: Rasa Malaysia
18. Easy Air fryer Cassava Chips
This is a tasty and easy recipe of Airfryer cassava or yuca chips. It is very simple and you can have it as a tasty evening snack.
Recipe by: Rachna Cooks
19. Brazilian Chicken Soup with Yucca & Yam
A delicious Brazilian Chicken Soup recipe with yam, yucca root, and shredded chicken. It’s hearty, gluten free, delicious and easy to make.
Recipe by: A Side of Sweet
20. Cassava Puffs with Cinnamon Sugar and Caramel (Gluten Free)
These incredible 5 ingredient cassava (yuca) puffs with cinnamon sugar and caramel are next level good… and gluten free!
Recipe by: Chew Town