Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pasta with Blue Cheese
Tossed in a blue cheese sauce, this Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pasta is full of flavor. A great weeknight family meal!
Servings: 6 people
For the blue cheese sauce:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk , at room temperature
- 5 oz. (140g) creamy Gorgonzola cheese , cubed
- salt and pepper , to taste
For the pasta:
- 1 lb (450g) boneless skinless chicken breast , cut into bite-sized pieces
- 5 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- 1 lb (450g) button mushrooms , sliced
- 3/4 cup frozen peas , thawed
- 1 lb (450g) penne pasta
The blue cheese sauce:
In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. When it has melted, add the flour and whisk until smooth. Add the milk in batches and keep whisking until smooth.
Bring to a simmer and simmer for a couple of minutes stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add the Gorgonzola cheese. Stir until the cheese melts. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside and keep warm.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet and cook until the chicken is cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Set aside.
In the same skillet, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil and saute the mushrooms until tender and golden, for about 10-12 minutes. Add the peas and stir. Season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, in a large pot, cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain.
Transfer the pasta to the mushroom and pea mixture. Add the chicken and the blue cheese sauce and toss. Add some more salt and pepper if needed. Enjoy!
Adapted from Everyday Pasta by Giada de Laurentiis
- For a quick version of this recipe, you can use 3 cups of shredded rotisserie chicken instead of cooking your own.
- If your skillet isn't large enough, it may be easier to combine all the ingredients in the end in a large bowl.
Calories: 656kcal | Carbohydrates: 60.4g | Protein: 38.4g | Fat: 28.9g | Cholesterol: 93.2mg | Sodium: 386mg | Sugar: 10.3g | Vitamin A: 800IU | Vitamin C: 6.6mg