Chicken Afritada With Pineapple
This Pineapple Chicken Afritada features chicken and tons of vegetables simmered in a flavorful tomato sauce. Vibrant, colorful, super delicious!
Servings: 4 people
- 2 lb (900g) chicken drumsticks , skin on
- 3-4 small potatoes , peeled and cubed
- 1 carrot , chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper , sliced into strips
- 3 cloves garlic , chopped
- 1 red onion , chopped
- 1 14 oz. (400g) can tomato puree
- 1 8 oz. (225g) can pineapple chunks , reserve syrup, drained
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 1/2 cup green peas
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 6 tablespoons cooking oil , divided
In a big pan over medium heat, heat 4 tablespoons of oil. Add potatoes and cook for about 1 minute. Then add carrot and cook for about 2 minutes. Add bell pepper and cook for about 1 minute. Remove all vegetables from pan and drain on paper towels.
Warm the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the same pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Then add chicken and brown it slightly. Add the tomato puree, pineapple syrup, soy sauce, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the chicken is almost tender. Stir occasionally.
Add potatoes, yellow bell pepper, carrots, and pineapple chunks and continue to cook for 5-6 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked. Add the green peas, season with salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes more. Serve hot. Enjoy!