Chinese Pineapple Chicken
This better-than-takeout pineapple chicken with sweet and tangy sauce is a perfect, healthy family-friendly dinner.
Servings: 4 people
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. (450g) boneless skinless chicken thighs , cut into 1 inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon salt , or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper , or to taste
- 1 bell pepper (I used ½ red and ½ green) , cored and cut into 1 inch pieces
- ½ white onion , cut into squares
- 1 cup pineapple chunks , canned
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/3 cup BBQ sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ cup pineapple juice from the canned pineapple
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- ½ tablespoon cornstarch
- sesame seeds , for garnishing (optional)
- fresh cilantro , for garnishing (optional)
Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add the chicken pieces and season it with salt and pepper. Cook the chicken, stirring occasionally, until it is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
Add the bell pepper, onion and pineapple chunks to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender-crisp. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Stir in BBQ sauce, ground ginger, pineapple juice, and rice vinegar. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with one tablespoon of cool water until it's dissolved. Pour this mixture to the pan and stir to combine. Cook until the sauce is thickened and coats the chicken and vegetables.
Serve immediately, garnished with sesame seeds and fresh cilantro, if desired.
Calories: 312kcal | Carbohydrates: 27.9g | Protein: 23.2g | Fat: 12.1g | Cholesterol: 100.1mg | Sodium: 606mg | Sugar: 21.4g