Teriyaki Chicken Pineapple Bowls
Beautiful, easy to make, and crazy delicious! The combination of chicken, pineapple, and teriyaki is out-of-this-world good!
Servings: 2 people
- 1 medium pineapple (or 2 cups canned pineapple chunks)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 large orange (for juice)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 lb (450g) boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs , cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil , for cooking
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (mixed with 3 tablespoons water)
- cooked rice
- chopped green onion , for sprinkling
- sesame seeds , for sprinkling
Cut the pineapple in half lengthwise and carve out both sides. Transfer the flesh from one side to a bowl (we will need it later), while setting aside the other one to eat later. If using canned pineapple chunks, you will need about 2 cups.
In a large bowl, combine the soy sauce, orange juice, honey, ginger, and sesame oil. Stir well. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Let sit for 20 minutes.
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Remove the chicken from the marinade with a slotted spoon and add to the skillet (reserve the marinade). Cook until cooked through (for about 5 minutes).
Remove the skillet from heat and transfer the chicken to a bowl. Add the reserved marinade to the same skillet. Add the butter and the pineapple flesh. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and stir in the cornstarch mixed with water. Keep stirring until the sauce has thickened. Bring back the cooked chicken and stir once more to combine.
Fill the pineapple bowls with white rice. Spoon the pineapple and chicken mixture on top. Sprinkle with some chopped green onion and sesame seeds. Enjoy!