It’s pizza time! Usually when my husband hears these words come out of my mouth, a big smile appears on his face. However, not this time. The thing is that this pizza contains no meat at all – only vegetables and cheese (sorry hubby). My husband is one of those guys who starts rolling his eyes if he fails to find any meat in a plate.
Well, I feel bad for him but I have nothing but LOVE for this veggie pizza! Artichokes, tomatoes, olives, bell peppers with melted mozzarella and basil on top. What a wonderful combination! I am feeling the smell of this goodness coming from the kitchen as I am writing this post… Sooo hard to resist!
I must confess. It was the first time when I tried canned artichoke hearts in my whole life. Few weeks ago a good friend of mine recommended to try them so I decided to add them to this veggie pizza. It’s always nice to taste something new!
Now, enough talking, let’s have some pizza!
- 1 pizza crust , homemade or store bought
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper , cut into strips
- 1/2 green bell pepper , cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 4-5 canned artichoke hearts , drained well and quartered
- 1 tomato , sliced
- 4 oz. (115g) fresh mozzarella ball , drained and sliced
- 15 black olives , pitted
- salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 1 small handful of fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees and let it heat up for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 4-5 minutes or until softened. Remove from heat and drain on paper towels. Set aside to cool until ready to assemble the pizza.
- Roll out the pizza dough onto a lightly floured, parchment paper-lined baking sheet, forming a 12-inch circle. Spread the pizza evenly with tomato sauce. Top with bell peppers, artichokes, tomato, mozzarella, and black olives. Season with a little salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place the pizza in the hot oven and bake for 10-13 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned and the cheese is bubbling. Remove from the oven and let cool for a minute. Sprinkle with basil leaves. Cut into slices and serve.