Light, fresh, and full of flavor, this Roasted Beet and Avocado Salad also features beet greens, sunflower seeds, scallions, and parsley. Super easy to throw together and perfect when beets are in season!
I have a confession to make, guys. For years, I always discarded leafy greens when getting fresh new beets from a farmer’s market. I didn’t even think whether they are edible or not. The beet tops went straight into the trash bin (shamefully looking down).
That was until this summer when I got a beautiful cookbook “Six Seasons: A New Way with Vegetables” by Joshua McFadden. I learned so much from it! The book is gold, I’m telling you. It’s packed with seasonal recipes and I love the concept of splitting the year into six seasons: Spring, Early Summer, Midsummer, Late Summer, Fall, and Winter. If you are into seasonal cooking, I highly recommend this one. This is not sponsored or paid, I’m just legit obsessed.
The book taught me to cherish the precious beet greens. It appeared that they are from the same family as Swiss chard! When you think about it, they look really similar. Well, now I know.
Yesterday, when I saw a sexy looking bunch of beets with fresh tops at a local market, I immediately knew what I was going to make with them. A gorgeous roasted beet and avocado salad with beet greens, sunflower seeds, scallions, and parsley from the book!
This is one of those recipes you know will turn out great just from the sound of it. And it’s so simple to throw together!
If you got nice beets with beautifully looking tops from a market but don’t plan to use them today – place them in water and leave on a counter. This way they will keep fresh for a while. You can also cut them off as soon as you get home and refrigerate in a plastic bag. They will be good for up to a few weeks.
This roasted beet and avocado salad is something, guys. I managed to make it three times in two days. SO GOOD. My new favorite. Try it and let me know what you think!
Roasted Beet and Avocado Salad with Sunflower Seeds
- 1 lb (450g) beets with greens
- salt and pepper , to taste
- olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 4 scallions , sliced
- 2 avocados , cut into chunks
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Trim the tops and bottoms of the beets. Rinse and drain the greens. Wash and scrub the beets if there is any mud. If the beets differ in size, cut them up so that they are about the same size.
- Arrange the beets in a baking dish in a single layer. Season with salt and pour 1/4 cup water into the dish. Cover tightly with foil and roast until tender when pierced with a fork. It should take about 30-60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat some olive oil in a skillet and add the greens. Toss until they are wilted, for about 5 minutes. When cool, roughly chop.
- When the roasted beets are cool enough, peel them. Cut into pieces and put in a bowl together with the chopped greens. Sprinkle with the vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and black pepper to taste. Add some olive oil and toss well.
- Add the sunflower seeds, parsley, scallions, and toss once again. Add the avocados and toss gently. Enjoy!
* This post contains affiliate links, thank you for the support in keeping Yummy Addiction up and running!