This collection of purple potato recipes is the perfect inspiration for anyone who wants to add the colorful potatoes to their cooking. Discover how easy it is to enjoy the vibrant violet color of purple potatoes in salads, mashes, and more.
One of the easiest ways to bring some new life to classic potato recipes is by picking up a bag of purple potatoes next time you’re shopping. They’re just as easy to cook as traditional varieties, but can make something as simple as mashed potatoes look like a special occasion dish.
Below you’ll find a collection of purple potato recipes that taste great while highlighting the fabulous color. From simple roasted sides to salads, fritters, mashes, and more, you’ll find tons of inspiration that will help make purple a regular color on your dinner table.
Fun Facts About Purple Potatoes
My complete guide on how to cook purple potatoes has tons of helpful information about using the unique spud, but here are the basics that can help you get inspired and cooking in no time.
- Choose firm, unblemished potatoes – Avoid any with cuts, damage, or mushy spots.
- The purple color will change when cooked – Depending on the cooking method and other ingredients, they can become deeper or lighter in color, or may leach purple into the other foods they’re cooked with.
- Purple means added nutrition – The color is a sign of a high level of antioxidants. They have more than four times the amount compared to a russet potato, plus all the other good stuff like fiber and healthy carbs.
- They’re best in the fall – You’ll find them at local farmer’s markets in late summer through late fall. But, like most potatoes, they’re often available year round at the grocery store.
1. Purple Potato Salad with Bacon and Red Onion
This 30 minute purple potato salad uses simple ingredients like bacon, quick pickled red onions, and an easy homemade dressing to make a colorful side dish that’s delicious and enjoyable year round.
Recipe by: Yummy Addiction
2. Purple Mashed Potatoes
Change up your go-to mash and try these vibrant and delicious purple mashed potatoes. The beautiful color, creamy buttery flavor, and simple 20 minute preparation will make these a favorite dinner side that’s perfect for special occasions.
Recipe by: Yummy Addiction
3. Crispy Oven-Roasted Purple Fries
Purple potato fries, baked crisp and topped with a homemade seasoning mix for a healthy version of one of the world’s most popular sides.
Recipe by: Food Fidelity
4. Purple Mashed Potato Pancakes with Pancetta
Mashed potato pancakes need no improvements, but they’re way more fun when made with purple potatoes, garlic, pancetta, and cheddar cheese. These purple mashed potato pancakes with garlic and pancetta should be served at every cocktail party.
Recipe by: We are not Martha
5. Nourish Bowl with Purple Potatoes, Kale, and Quinoa
Try this delicious bowl with roasted purple potatoes, quinoa and sautéed kale. It’s such a delicious addition to any family meal!
Recipe by: Shayna’s Kitchen
6. Baked Potato Chips
Homemade Baked Potato Chips flavored with salt, pepper, and thyme. Conventional potatoes may be used but Purple Majesty potatoes make these chips stunning!
Recipe by: Roti n Rice
7. Simple Vegetable Quiche
This simple veggie quiche has a gluten-free crust and filled with fresh veggies, like asparagus and purple potatoes. Can easily be customized to use veggies you already have on hand.
Recipe by: Wife Mama Foodie
8. Smashed Purple Potatoes
These smashed purple potatoes make the perfect side dish for any meal. Simple and easy recipe!
Recipe by: Green Evi
9. Homemade Purple Potato Gnocchi
These light, pillowy gnocchi served in a butter gorgonzola sage sauce with pine nuts and Parmigiano is a delicious dish, perfect for a date night.
Recipe by: SugarLoveSpices
10. Soup with Purple Potatoes and Red Cabbage
Boldly magenta, or perhaps violently violet, this stew-like soup of a different hue features purple potatoes, black quinoa, and red cabbage.
Recipe by: The Vegan Atlas
11. Roasted Purple Potatoes with Lemon, Dijon & Thyme Dressing
Add some color to your Thanksgiving table this year with these roasted purple potatoes with lemon, dijon and thyme dressing!
Recipe by: She Likes Food
12. Green Bean & Purple Potato Salad
This Green Bean & Purple Potato Salad is a pretty, healthy summer side or main dish! Fresh herbs, capers, and a lemon-dijon dressing make it vibrant & flavorful.
Recipe by: Love and Lemons
13. Purple Potato Breakfast Skillet
Purple Potato Breakfast Skillet is easy, delicious and the perfect way to start your day. Tasty quick and easy, this breakfast skillet will have you looking forward to waking up!
Recipe by: A Wicked Whisk
14. Lemon Dijon Roasted Purple Potatoes
This roasted purple potatoes recipe is delicious and easy. The potatoes are gorgeous gems, easy to make, and have amazing health benefits, made with olive oil, lemon, dijon mustard, garlic, leeks, and fresh herbs.
Recipe by: Spinach Tiger
15. Cashew Cheese Stuffed Purple Potato Balls
These vegan cashew cheese stuffed purple potato balls are a pretty alternative to regular mashed potatoes, and make a great side dish to any meal.
Recipe by: Green Evi
16. Hasselback Potatoes with Lemon Sauce
Hasselback potatoes roasted until crisp and topped with a tangy lemon garlic sauce. A flavorful and wholesome side dish bursting with fresh herbs.
Recipe by: Jessica Gavin
17. Purple Potatoes With Caramelized Onions
Beautifully vibrant purple potatoes fried with caramelized onions and shiitake mushrooms.
Recipe by: Simply Recipes
18. Purple Potato And Beef Curry
This vibrant purple potato and beef curry has a delightful combination of creamy texture, warming spices and tender meat, making it a perfect choice for any occasion.
Recipe by: Recipes From A Pantry
19. Tri-Color Potato and Arugula Salad
This colorful salad combines three kinds of potatoes with the peppery greens for an earthy flavor with plenty of eye appeal.
Recipe by: The Vegan Atlas
20. Smoked Salmon Potato Canapes
Throw together these purple and orange salmon canapes for a classy Halloween appetizer or Clemson football party food.
Recipe by: Basil And Bubbly
21. Burdock Root & Purple Potato Gratin
A festive Halloween side dish that’s purple from purple potatoes, and extra-nutty in flavor from burdock root.
Recipe by: FunkyFoods
22. Baked Purple Potatoes (Oven or Air Fryer)
Learn how to take purple potatoes and throw them into the oven to make the prettiest baked potatoes you have ever seen. And they taste delicious as well.
Recipe by: Eat Like No One Else
23. Garlicky Roasted Purple Potatoes
These garlicky roasted purple potatoes are the perfect gluten free side dish. Serve them with breakfast or dinner to complete a meal!
Recipe by: Food Above Gold
24. Purple Potato Bites with Horseradish Creme Fraiche and Caviar
Purple potato bites with horseradish creme fraiche and caviar – bold colors and big flavors packed into a small, delicious morsel – the perfect starter for your holiday dinner or a cocktail party.
Recipe by: Viktoria’s Table
25. Purple Potato Winter Bowl
When you crave a hearty, filling and super delicious plant-based bowl, give these winter flavors a try. This Purple Potato + Maitake + Avocado + Cheesy Quinoa Winter Bowl is easy to put together!
Recipe by: HealthyHappyLife