I love ricotta cookies. Like many of you, I love lemon ricotta cookies, but this time I tried to mix other flavors and make something NEW. So, let me present you these vanilla and cardamom flavored orange poppy seed ricotta cookies with orange glaze!
If you have never tried ricotta in cookies, then this is a good recipe to start with. They’re different than other cookies, trust me.
These little guys are so moist and light and I love how the ricotta cheese gives them a bit more richness and changes the texture to be more cake-like.
These melt in your mouth goodies are bursting with orange flavor which pairs perfectly with hints of cardamom. The poppy seeds add a lovely crunch, which I adore.
In fact, I loved this flavor so much I made similarly flavored cottage cheese waffles. SO GOOD!
Don’t you want to sink your teeth into these wonderful ricotta cookies? I know I do! I had one for breakfast, one after lunch, and I’m going to have one right now!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- zest from 2 oranges
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , softened to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 15 oz. (425g) container whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- zest from 1 orange
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper, or a Silpat liner. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cardamom, and poppy seeds. Stir with a whisk to blend. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and orange zest. Mix with your fingertips until the sugar is moistened and fragrant. Add butter to the mixture and beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, until incorporated. Beat in the orange juice, vanilla and ricotta cheese. Scrape the bottom of the bowl and beat for another minute to make sure everything is incorporated.
- Slowly add in dry ingredients and mix until incorporated. The dough will be moist and a bit sticky because of the ricotta cheese.
- Spoon/scoop about two tablespoons of dough for each cookie on a baking sheet. Bake for 16-18 minutes, until slightly golden at the edges. Remove from oven and and let rest on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- While the cookies cool, make the glaze. In a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar, orange juice and zest. Whisk until smooth. Spread about a teaspoon of glaze on the top of each cookie. Let glaze harden before serving. Enjoy!