Today was a big day. I’ve tried KALE for the first time in my life! It’s obvious that I am jumping on the kale bandwagon pretty late. Too late. But hey, it’s better later than never. Right?
You see, kale is not so popular in my country and it’s really hard to get it. I saw this kale craze going on all over the internet and I wanted to try it so badly! After a long search I was able to find a farmer who is growing this nutritional powerhouse. Hooray!
I’ve started thinking about things to do with kale even before I actually had it. The first one on my to-do list was this gorgeous kale quinoa salad. The combination of ingredients is perfect: kale, walnuts, feta, quinoa, avocado, apricots. Yummy!
I am really happy that my first experience with kale went well. This salad is pure goodness! Oh and I loved the taste of kale as well. I know that some people don’t find it tasty but it’s not the case with me I guess!
If you are not a huge fan of kale I would still recommend to try this one. First of all, it’s super healthy. Moreover, the combination of feta, avocado and apricots nicely balances kale’s bitterness. Who knows, maybe you will change your mind and fall in love with this healthy superfood after tasting this refreshing salad!
Give it a try!
For The Salad:
- 3 cups chopped kale , stems removed
- 1 cup cooked quinoa , chilled
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 avocado , peeled, pitted, and cubed
- 1 1/2 cups diced fresh apricots , approx 4-5 apricots, depending on the size
For The Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves , finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon honey
- salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- In a small jar with a lid, combine the olive oil, basil, lime juice, lime zest, and honey. Cover and shake until mixed well. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Gently toss all ingredients together in a large bowl. Toss with the dressing and serve.