A bright and refreshing kiwi smoothie bowl is an excellent way to start off your day. Health and flavor go hand in hand in this recipe to deliver you a beautiful breakfast you’ll want to enjoy all winter.
I’m back with another smoothie bowl! If you checked out my strawberry banana bowl recipe, I mentioned how I had a growing love for the beautiful, healthy, and tasty breakfasts that they make.
This time, I’m featuring all the nutritional power of green in a spoonable, delicious kiwi smoothie bowl I think you’ll love. With simple ingredients and a ton of options for toppings to help make it your own, it’ll be an easy one to add to your breakfast rotation.
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- Kale and fruit make a naturally vegan breakfast that tastes great, and will help you feel great.
- It uses winter ingredients like kiwi and kale in a way that’s fun and refreshing.
- The options for toppings are endless and easy to customize to your tastes.
- It’s very easy to prepare in just a few minutes.
The ingredient list is small, but my tips on getting them prepped is key to that perfect texture. With these on hand and ready to go, making a kale smoothie bowl will be a snap.
- Kale – if you find it bitter in your smoothies, remove that fibrous stem. It packs lots of nutrients, but can add bitterness when uncooked. Just using the leaves is still super healthy!
- Bananas – If possible peel, chop, and freeze your banana the night before. It needs to be frozen to create that thick texture rather than a smoothie we drink. You can even prep a bunch and keep them in the freezer so they’re ready when you are.
- Almond milk – You can use your favorite non-dairy milk to make this, or regular milk if it’s not important to keep this vegan.
- Kiwis – You can peel and chop them, or simply cut them in half and scoop the flesh out with a spoon.
- Maple syrup – Just a splash makes all the difference. Honey or brown rice syrup could also work.
Making a kale kiwi smoothie bowl could not be easier! Add everything to your blender, and let it do the work. But once you’ve poured that luscious, green kale smoothie into your bowl, it’s time to think about toppings.
The options really are endless. Just think about a few key things – texture, flavor, and making it a balanced meal. Here are some suggestions for how to get all of that into one easy breakfast.
- Nuts– Not only do nuts add texture, but they also provide protein and healthy fats. Toasted and chopped pecans, walnuts, or almonds are all wonderful options.
- Seeds – Texture and nutrition are also benefits of seeds like pepitas (pumpkin seeds), sunflower seeds, or even pomegranate seeds.
- Granola – Whether you like classic oat style granola or a one mixed with other grains like toasted quinoa or puffed rice, it adds substance that both fills you up and adds a lovely crunchy bite with every spoonful.
- Fresh fruit – This is easy! Just think about what went into it. Fresh slices of banana or kiwi would be great. Or add other winter favorites like pineapple to mix things up.
- Other fun options – coconut chips, dried fruits, an extra drizzle of maple syrup, or a swirl of fresh yogurt can make the perfect finishing touch to a smoothie bowl, and make them pretty too.
Simply choose a variety of your favorites and layer them across the top. All that’s left is to dig in and enjoy every cool, refreshing bite of your kiwi smoothie bowl.
I could probably eat one of these every day during winter when kiwis are really delicious. But sometimes it’s nice to change it up too. So while you’re waiting for those bananas to freeze, go ahead and check out one of my other healthy breakfast recipes to get your day started right.
- Caramelized Apple Fig Oatmeal
- Healthy Banana Date Bread
- Orange Poppy Seed Cottage Cheese Waffles
- Healthy Banana Cranberry Muffins
Kale and Kiwi Green Smoothie Bowl
- 2 cups packed kale leaves
- 2 ripe bananas , sliced and frozen
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 ripe kiwis , peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup , or to taste
- sliced banana
- hemp seeds
- coconut flakes
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until creamy and smooth. Pour into two bowls and top with your favorite toppings. Serve immediately.