Holidays are approaching and nothing brings the Christmas spirit into my home like candied nuts. The smell they fill the kitchen with is mindblowing. This year I decided to make these healthier Honey Roasted Pecans with less sugar and more honey.
Great for snacking, as holiday gifts, or as an ingredient in various salads. Like this seasonal Persimmon & Feta salad, I’m also sharing with you in this post!
Do you have a habit of opening up a jar of mixed nuts and taking out all of the good stuff (pecans for example)? C’mon, I know that you do. If it’s not you, it’s someone else and you are left with none of the good stuff.
There’s a reason that pecans are the ones that are taken out all of the mixed nuts and it’s because they are delicious! I have a solution for this age-old problem: Why not make batches of our favorites so that we can enjoy them on their own? Imagine that, an entire batch of snacking pecans all by themselves. No need to pick through to get to the good stuff!
I have made these Sugar Coated Pecans a few years ago and they were amazing. This time, though, I decided to make them a little bit healthier. These Honey Roasted Pecans use less sugar and more honey and are just as good (maybe even better) than the previous pecan recipe.
These are delicious enough to make every day for anytime snacking, but alas, the holidays are upon us. For me, that often means trying out lots and lots of delicious new recipes. I mean really, isn’t that what the holidays are all about? Well, other than time with family and friends of course.
Putting my own snacking desires out of the way, when it comes to the holiday season, I want to always have good treats on hand. I make this a habit because let’s face it, there are always places to be, gifts to give and guests to receive. I like to stay on top of things. That’s when these sweet roasted pecans come in handy!
These pecans are actually quite easy to make and only require 4 ingredients (honey, kosher salt, sugar, and pecans). That’s it! The recipe here is for a small batch, but you can easily double or quadruple it even for a bigger batch for those times when you need more than a cup full (that’s every time, right?).
How to Make Honey Roasted Pecans
Once you have your ingredients together, simply pop the honey into the microwave for 30 seconds or so. Then place the pecans into the honey to coat them.
After the pecans are coated with the honey, place them on a baking sheet, making sure that they are laid out in one layer, spaced apart and not stacked on top of one another.
Once they are on the baking sheet and ready to go, place them in the oven. Bake for 5 minutes and rearrange once again (still in a single layer) and bake for another 5 minutes before rearranging once again to bake for the final 5 minutes. These numbers are approximate, so be sure to keep a close watch on them. You don’t want to burn your pecans!
Once done, remove from the oven and let them sit for 1-2 minutes before you sprinkle with salt and sugar, then let cool for 30 minutes.
So what can you do with these amazing little bites of deliciousness once they are made? Well, let’s talk about that.
Enjoy them for snacking
Roast them up, keep them on hand and enjoy snacking on them. Shhhh. I won’t tell that you made them just for you. Since it’s a new recipe that is low in sugar, you don’t have to feel too guilty about snacking on them.
Save them for guests
Especially during the holidays, guests are abundant and any good host likes to have good snacks and drinks on hand, right? Even better if your snacks are delicious and homemade.
Give them as gifts
You can even hand these honey glazed pecans out as gifts for family members, neighbors, and friends. As far as presenting them goes, there are many options. You can find some cute little jars with lids to present them in, you can even dress up some small mason jars, or find the perfect holiday gift bags for them. People love getting food for gifts.
Use them in other recipes
Another great use for these delicious treats is to use them in other recipes. Honey roasted pecans can make a great addition to some lunch and dinner menus.
One of the recipes I’ve already tried with these sweet pecans is this beautiful and oh-so-good persimmon feta salad. It’s too good not to share with you, guys!
Persimmons are in season right now (October through February) and are a hot menu item this year. With just a quick internet search, you will find more and more recipes popping up daily and for good reason. Persimmons have a variety of health benefits and even WebMD touts that Persimmons are an excellent source of vitamins A and C, and are also rich in fiber.
The combination of persimmons, feta, honey coated pecans, and a wonderful lemony dressing is irresistible!
Have I convinced you that these honey roasted pecans are not only super delicious but also crazy versatile? There is no reason not to make them!
Honey Roasted Pecans + Persimmon & Feta Salad
For the nuts:
- 1 cup pecans
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
For the persimmon salad:
- 2 Fuyu persimmons or 1 Hachiya
- 4 oz. (115g) baby spinach
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 6 oz. (170g) feta cheese
- 1 cup honey roasted pecans
For the salad dressing:
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped shallot
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350F (175C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Microwave the honey for half a minute until it is more fluid. In a bowl, combine the honey with pecans and toss to coat.
- Arrange the honeyed pecans on a baking sheet in a single layer. I used spatula for this. Don’t overcrowd leaving some space between the nuts.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven, stir, and rearrange in a single layer. Bake for 5 minutes more, then once again remove, stir, and rearrange. Now bake for the last 5 minutes. Watch close so they don’t burn.
- When done, remove from the oven and let sit for 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle with the sugar and salt and let cool for 30 minutes. Enjoy!
The salad dressing.
- The salad dressing. In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, lemon juice, shallot, salt, and sugar. Add the olive oil little by little whisking constantly.
- Trim persimmon tops and ends, peel, and cut into thin slices. Coarsely tear the lettuce and put together with spinach in a salad bowl.
- Pour the dressing over and toss to coat. Add the salt to taste. Arrange the persimmon slices and crumble the feta over the top. Finally, add the pecans and some black pepper. Enjoy!
The nutrition label is for roasted pecans, not the salad.
* This post contains affiliate links, thank you for the support in keeping Yummy Addiction up and running!