I love making pizza at home. So fun! Usually I make my own crust too. Actually, it is not that hard as you think it is. Believe me. I took some step-by-step photos to show you how to make your own pizza dough from scratch.
The dough is made with all-purpose flour, instant dry yeast, sugar, salt, water and olive oil. Of course, you can add some garlic or herbs for extra flavor, if desired.
I prefer instant dry yeast in all my pizza recipes of its convenience. It doesn’t need to be dissolved in warm water like active dry yeast and can be added with the other dry ingredients. Also, the dough made with instant dry yeast rises faster. A great option if you want to save some time.
In the process of making this pizza dough I don’t use a bread machine or food processor. I make everything by hand. Easy, simple and fun. You want it mixed very well so don’t be afraid to use your hands!
Kneading the dough is a pleasure… And it is a very good exercise for you. 🙂
Don’t stop kneading until you get a soft and elastic dough. Now shape it into a ball.
Lightly grease a large bowl with olive oil, then set the dough inside, turning to coat it all over with oil. Cover tightly with plastic wrap or a clean towel and let it sit in a warm place for about 1 hour.
Suggestion to create warm environment: turn on the oven for a minute, then turn it off and place the dough in the oven to rise. I always use this method while working with yeasted dough.
After an hour or so the dough should have doubled in size.
Punch it down to release the air.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Honestly, I don’t have a pizza stone or a pizza pan. Usually, I turn the dough onto a lightly floured sheet of parchment paper and shape it into a round with my hands. Sometimes I use a rolling pin for that. Using a parchment paper, it is easier to transfer the pizza to the baking stone or sheet after you have assembled it.
This recipe is for one 12-13 inch pizza depending on the thickness of the crust. If you love a thick and chewy pizza crust, this recipe is for you!
A final tip: always preheat the oven at least 30 minutes prior to baking. Remember, you need a VERY hot oven to make a great crust. 😉
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant dry yeast (1 package)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup lukewarm water (105-115 F or 40-45 C)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Combine warm water with olive oil. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Make a well in the center, pour in water mixture and mix until all the flour has been incorporated and the mixture pulls together into a dough (If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour, if it's too dry, add more water, a little at a time).
- Place your dough on a lightly floured surface and knead it with your hands until it is smooth, elastic and springs back when pressed (about 7 minutes). Shape the dough into a ball and place in large greased bowl, rolling the dough around the bowl to coat with oil. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, or until it doubles in size.
- Punch the dough down to release the air. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured sheet of parchment paper and shape it into a 12-inch round. Now your pizza dough is ready for your favorite toppings!