These healthy strawberry mini muffins are made with whole wheat flour, rolled oats, and honey roasted strawberries that pack summer flavor into every bite. With just two bowls and a baking sheet, these muffins come together fast and freeze well for easy breakfasts and snacks.
After coming across this tasty muffin recipe in a cookbook I love, called Dishing up the Dirt by Andrea Bemis, I immediately took it to my kitchen to celebrate the fresh strawberries that we’re enjoying this time of year.
We instantly fell in love with the healthy recipe, it uses wholesome ingredients to create a delicious, sweet muffin that’s loaded with roasted strawberries. In our house they’ve become mini muffins, which means faster baking and the quicker we get to enjoy them. And, since they’re healthy, I have no problem letting everyone gobble up more than one.
With the simple step of roasting your strawberries you’ll see why this recipe was such an instant hit in my house too, and why I had to share these cuties with you.
Why You’ll Love These Healthy Strawberry Muffins
- They’re healthy and wholesome thanks to unrefined ingredients like whole wheat flour, rolled oats, coconut oil, and honey.
- Roasting the strawberries intensifies the flavor, meaning big strawberry flavor in every bite!
- This makes 30 healthy mini muffins to enjoy per batch and it only takes about 30 minutes.
- Muffins freeze really well, making it the perfect make-ahead breakfast or snack idea.
There is one key step that you definitely don’t want to skip (I promise it’s worth it), and that’s roasting the strawberries. We love strawberries this time of year, when they’re fresh and full of flavor. Roasting them just intensifies that sweetness, and that makes your muffins sweeter naturally, and seriously infused with strawberry flavor.
To roast them, toss quartered and hulled strawberries with honey, olive oil, and salt, then pop them into a 350°F (175°C) oven to roast for about 25 minutes. The sheet tray will look very juicy and the berries will shrink in size.
I should note that this recipe works best with honey that flows easily, for both this step and the muffin batter later. If you’re using a thick, slow running honey, place the jar in a bowl of hot water while you prep your strawberries so it’s nice and runny when you need it.
Once your strawberries are all roasted up and your house smells fantastic, prep the muffins. You’ll need a mini muffin pan with liners and to increase the oven temperature to 375°F (190°C).
The muffins come together in just two bowls: one for wet and one for dry. In one, combine the flour, baking powder and soda, the rolled oats, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk to combine then in the other bowl, whisk the egg, oil, milk, honey, and vanilla.
Combine the two and gently fold in the roasted strawberries that have been cooling. Add the strawberry studded batter to your liners and bake them for about 12 to 16 minutes.
Once they’re golden brown on top and a toothpick comes out clean, your strawberry mini muffins are ready to come out of the oven. Leave them in the pan for just 5 minutes, then remove them to a cooling rack.
These Healthy Mini Muffins Are Freezer Friendly
Another perk of these strawberry mini muffins is that they’re very freezer friendly. Which means, even when strawberry season disappears for another year, I can enjoy my most recent batch from the freezer for up to 3 months.
Just keep them in an airtight container or bag, and thaw on the counter to enjoy.
But who am I kidding, a batch of these healthy strawberry muffins never lasts more than a few days, especially when we always eat a few at once! I hope you like my adaptation of this fabulous seasonal recipe, and enjoy strawberries while they’re around with any of these other summer favorites.
- Strawberry Custard Tart
- Strawberry Walnut Salad
- Strawberry Banana Yogurt Smoothie
- Strawberry Rhubarb Hand Pies
- Strawberry Brownies
Healthy Strawberry Mini Muffins
For the roasted strawberries:
- 2 cups strawberries , quartered
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons runny honey
- pinch of salt
For the muffins:
- 1 cup (150g) whole wheat flour
- 1 cup (100g) rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg , at room temperature
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup coconut oil , melted
- 1/2 cup runny honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
The roasted strawberries.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the strawberries, olive oil,honey, and salt in a medium bowl and toss well to coat.
- Arrange in a single layer on the baking sheet and roast until the strawberries are juicy and reduced in size, about 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool slightly.
- Increase the oven temperature to 375°F (190°C). Line a mini muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.
- Ina large bowl, whisk together the flour, rolled oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, almond milk, coconut oil, honey, and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated. Gently fold in the roasted strawberries.
- Spoon the batter into the liners and bake for 12-16 minutes or until the mini muffins are lightly golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool 5 minutes in the pan. Then transfer the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.