Sometimes your body asks for some simple and healthy meals. There are days when you get sick & tired of heavy food and you just need very very light stuff, like this colorful eggplant pomegranate salad. It is a perfect choice for a light and easy dinner. I saw this fabulous salad on TV and it caught my attention right away. I wanted to try it as soon as possible. The combination of eggplant and pomegranate intrigued me a lot… And I’m really glad I tried it!
Eggplant is one of my favorite vegetables. I like it roasted, fried, but most of all I enjoy it grilled. The smoky taste is perfect for this vegetable. I regret that I didn’t try adding eggplant in salads earlier. Such idea have never crossed my mind before!
Pomegranate, though, is a frequent guest in my salads. My hubby hates it because of all the hassle of sucking the juice around seeds and then spitting them out. It’s not a problem for me at all. However, a few days ago I read that you can actually eat those seeds! Moreover, they are the healthiest thing in pomegranate! These seeds are packed with Vitamin C, potassium, and fiber. Well, that’s interesting news. Who would have thought? I guess I will try to eat them next time and see how it goes. Dear readers, please tell me how you eat pomegranate in the comments below!
This salad has a perfect balance in taste and texture and it’s also so beautiful! Just look at all these colors. It makes me think of summer! Ahh summer, I miss you! The grill flavor of eggplant combines really well with the sweet-tart pomegranate arils, salty feta, parsley, mint and a zesty, refreshing dressing. This unique combination will pleasantly surprise you. I promise!
If you loved this one, try my Grilled Pear, Prosciutto and Arugula salad!
- 2 medium Italian eggplants
- 1/3 cup olive oil , plus more for grilling
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 small garlic clove , minced
- a handful of parsley leaves , chopped
- a small handful of mint leaves , chopped
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/2 cup feta cheese , crumbled
- salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- Cut the two ends off the eggplant and slice lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices (or into rounds). Salt the slices to help remove excess moisture and any bitterness from the eggplants and place in a colander. Set aside for about 15 minutes.
- Rinse the salt off the eggplant with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Preheat the grill to medium or heat a grill pan on the stove top over medium-high heat. Make sure it's hot before beginning. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush both sides of each slice of eggplant with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill on both sides until you have nice grill marks and the eggplant is pliable, about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- In a small jar with a lid, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, honey and garlic. Cover and shake until mixed well. Taste, and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Cut the grilled eggplant into bite-size pieces and toss with a bit of prepared dressing. Top with the parsley, mint, pomegranate arils and feta cheese. Drizzle with the remaining dressing, toss gently to coat. Enjoy!