A perfect weekend breakfast right here. Eggplant Breakfast Frittata. Also featuring cherry tomatoes, potato, and cheddar cheese! Super easy to throw together and filling + delicious. Oh, and packed with protein!
Eggplants have finally arrived! I don’t know about the place you live in but this week was the first time I spotted them at a local farmer’s market. Soft, silken, and tender, these purple guys are a true delight.
I love how versatile eggplant is. You can pan fry it, grill over charcoal, stew, or roast, it doesn’t matter. Every time you are getting a melting in your mouth goodness which is highly pleasurable to eat. That silky texture is the main reason I adore it so much!
One of my most favorite eggplant featuring things ever are these veggie stuffed rollatini that make a great side dish or appetizer for any occasion. I wouldn’t be able to count how many times I made them. It’s never enough!
You can also find this flavorful pomegranate eggplant salad on the blog I made a few years ago. Pomegranate and eggplant go great together but as if it wouldn’t be enough, I also added feta cheese and mint to the mix. Divine!
This time, though, I got eggplants without any thought on what I was going to do with them. They were just too beautiful to resist. It’s weekend, I told myself, you’ll figure something out. And I did.
Eggplant Breakfast Frittata.
Well, not without help from the side. I stumbled upon the frittata from In Praise Of Leftovers and used that recipe as a base making some changes and adding things.
Me and Igor, we usually start our weekends with eggs. It’s oatmeal on weekdays, eggs on Saturday and Sunday. So it seemed like an obvious idea to throw in eggplant this time. Plus… Some potatoes, cherry tomatoes, and cheddar. That’s how my perfect weekend breakfast looks like.
Filling and packed with protein, this eggplant breakfast frittata will provide you with energy for the day. What else can I say? A super simple and really delicious dish for any eggplant lovers out there. Try it and let me know what you think, guys!
Eggplant Breakfast Frittata
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large potato , cut into thin rounds
- 5 oz. (140g) cherry tomatoes
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup grated cheddar or any other cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Cut the eggplant in half lengthwise and score down the middle without cutting through the skin. Place on the baking sheet cut side down and bake for about 20 minutes. Allow to cool and roughly chop. Set aside.
- In an oven-proof skillet, heat the olive oil and cook the potato slices for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes more, until the potatoes are almost done.
- Beat the eggs and milk together and season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour the mixture over the potatoes. Add the eggplant pieces. Sprinkle with the cheese and garnish with a few thyme sprigs.
- Cook for about 3 minutes to set the eggs on the bottom and then transfer the skillet to the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes more until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Enjoy!