What I really like about quesadillas is that they are so easy to make and there are so many ways to make them. For these reasons, they will never become something that’s boring to your taste buds. You can fill quesadillas with anything you want – turkey, pork, veggies or even fruits. I made chicken quesadillas from leftover cooked chicken and we LOVED them a lot!
I can’t imagine quesadilla without cheese. The more cheese it has, the better it tastes. I added 1/2 cup of it in a tortilla but you can add more cheese if you really like it cheesy.
Another ingredient that I love using a lot at the moment is caramelized onions. I can eat it straight from the pan because they’re freaking delicious! Don’t be like me. Just combine them with chicken and your favorite BBQ sauce. 😉
To make my quesadilla more delicious and unique I added some grilled red bell pepper and fresh arugula. You won’t believe how absolutely yummy this appetizer is!
Just a warning, these chicken quesadillas may not last too long, so if you want, you can double or triple the recipe. 🙂
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 4 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil , divided
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 2 red onions , cut into strips
- 3 garlic cloves , chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1/3 cup BBQ sauce
- 3 large flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter , divided
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese , divided
- 1 cup fresh arugula
- Heat a grill pan on medium high heat. Rub a teaspoon of olive oil on the bell pepper and place on the grill pan. Grill until blackened on each side, turning every few minutes. Place the grilled bell pepper in a paper bag and let stand about 10 minutes. Remove pepper from bag, peel off the blackened skin, remove the seeds and slice into strips. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, honey and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. In a small pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat and add the garlic and red onion. Cook until tender and slightly translucent. Add the balsamic sauce to the onions, mix well and cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, combine the caramelized onions, shredded chicken and BBQ sauce.
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon of the butter in a large pan over medium heat. Place a tortilla in the pan and sprinkle one half with 1/4 cup of cheese. Then layer with 1/2 cup of chicken mixture, sprinkle with one-third of bell pepper, 1/3 cup of arugula and 1/4 cup of cheese. Fold the tortilla in half covering the filling and cook for 2-3 minutes a side, or until golden brown. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and ingredients.
- Cut quesadilla into wedges and serve. Enjoy!