I can’t believe that we’re less than ten days away from Christmas and I’m so excited already! Are you ready for Christmas?
If you haven’t decided how to surprise your family, you should have a look at these crispy gingersnap cookies.
I know, I am clearly not the best when it comes to decorating cookies, but they are still so cute to me!
These cookies are balanced in taste – not too sweet or too spicy. The combination of ginger, cloves, cinnamon and cardamon will make your kitchen smell like heaven! I love that smell so much because it always reminds me of Christmas!
If you have the time, you can decorate them any way you like. I have decorated them with homemade royal icing. I know I know… it requires some effort and time, but the result is worth it!
I hope you will love it as much as my family does. 😉
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 5 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 cup (150g) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamon
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 4 cups (380g) all-purpose flour , sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda , sifted
- In a separate bowl, mix flour and baking soda together.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the butter, sugar, heavy cream, honey and all spices. Cook the mixture over low heat, stirring constantly, until the butter is melted. Remove from heat. Stir half of flour into the butter mixture, until combined. Add the rest of the flour. Gather dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for at least an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 335 F and line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Working with one portion at a time, roll out dough between two sheets of parchment paper to about a pound coin thickness (1/2 cm). Cut out cookies with desired cutter. Space cookies evenly apart, allowing room for them to spread a little during baking. Bake for 7-10 minutes, until cookies begin to brown. Remove the cookies from the oven and allow to cool. After cookies are cool you may decorate them any way you like.