Comforting, filling, and full of flavor, this Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pasta makes a perfect weeknight family meal. The blue cheese sauce takes this pasta to another level!
I was thinking yesterday. If someone would ask me what’s my favorite type of meal is, the answer would have to be pasta. I never thought about that but every single time my fridge is empty the first idea that comes to my mind is to make some pasta.
You can’t judge me. First of all, it’s really easy and quick to throw together + there are literally thousands of ways to prepare it. It’s almost like a soup. You can throw any leftovers you have in the fridge inside and it will still be great. The same goes with pasta!
So it happened that I had some mushrooms sitting for about a week (not longer, I hope) in the fridge as well as a rotisserie chicken which I bought a few days ago thinking that I for some reason need it but it appeared that I hadn’t. Oh, well. Stuff happens. Not too much of a problem, though. Like I said, leftovers + pasta = LOVE!
That’s how this Chicken and Mushroom Pasta was born!
Of course, I needed something more to make it creamy and satisfying. With the help of one of my most favorite cookbooks ever (Everyday Pasta by Giada de Laurentiis) I turned this idea of mine into something really interesting by tossing pasta, chicken, and mushrooms in a blue cheese (Gorgonzola) based sauce!
It was the first time ever I used blue cheese in a pasta recipe. A huge success!
Gorgonzola gave the sauce that sharp, unique flavor characteristic to it. Really really good, guys.
This Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pasta makes a great weeknight family meal as it requires less than 30 minutes to make. Plus, it’s not your ordinary pasta you make all the time. That blue cheese sauce makes the difference!
Serve with a few slices of garlic bread. Your family will appreciate it. I promise.
Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pasta with Blue Cheese
For the blue cheese sauce:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk , at room temperature
- 5 oz. (140g) creamy Gorgonzola cheese , cubed
- salt and pepper , to taste
For the pasta:
- 1 lb (450g) boneless skinless chicken breast , cut into bite-sized pieces
- 5 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- 1 lb (450g) mushrooms , sliced
- 3/4 cup frozen peas , thawed
- 1 lb (450g) penne pasta
The blue cheese sauce:
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. When it has melted, add the flour and whisk until smooth. Add the milk in batches and keep whisking until smooth.
- Bring to a simmer and simmer for a couple of minutes stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add the Gorgonzola cheese. Stir until the cheese melts. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside and keep warm.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet and cook until the chicken is cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil and saute the mushrooms until tender and golden, for about 10-12 minutes. Add the peas and stir. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain.
- Transfer the pasta to the mushroom and pea mixture. Add the chicken and the blue cheese sauce and toss. Add some more salt and pepper if needed. Enjoy!
- For a quick version of this recipe, you can use 3 cups of shredded rotisserie chicken instead of cooking your own.
- If your skillet isn't large enough, it may be easier to combine all the ingredients in the end in a large bowl.
* This post contains affiliate links, thank you for the support in keeping Yummy Addiction up and running!