This Chicken Artichoke Pasta is loaded with asparagus and sun-dried tomatoes. It is cheesy, crunchy, and so flavorful because of the basil. I made it for my family get together and there wasn’t anyone who didn’t compliment me on it!
When somebody asks me what my favorite world cuisine is, I answer immediately, without any hesitation, that it’s Italian. Why? Well, I like EVERYTHING about it. Literally. You will hardly find any Italian dish I won’t like. It’s just the ingredients, the cooking style, everything matches my taste. But the main reason why the food of this sunny country holds a special place in my heart is pasta. That’s right. There are so many different pasta varieties, it never gets boring! Pasta comes in big tubes that you can stuff with anything you like (manicotti, cannelloni), in a long form that you can slurp (spaghetti), wide and flat-shaped that you can layer with different ingredients (lasagna) and the list goes on and on. Amazing!
My love for pasta is pretty evident on this blog. I made so many different pasta dishes it’s even hard to pick which I loved the most. You, my dear readers, clearly enjoyed this Baked Ziti with Ricotta, Chicken Carbonara, and Chicken Scallopini with Mushroom Sauce! I also experimented with pasta salads and both of them were crazily popular: Chicken Macaroni Salad and Broccoli Cranberry Pasta Salad. It’s amazing how many different dishes you can make using this Italian staple.
Today I prepared another fantastic dish for you – Chicken Artichoke Pasta with Asparagus and Sun-Dried Tomatoes. It’s not even all the great ingredients this pasta features, I wasn’t able to fit them all in the title of the post! You will also find basil, parsley, wine, Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses inside of it. Oh yes, it’s cheesy, just how I like it! I guess everyone loves cheesy, because, I mean, how it’s even possible not to love it? I also love all the herbs and veggies this pasta dish features. Artichokes – I owe to my blog for discovering them few years ago. They are so good. It’s a pity that I can’t find frozen ones in my country, because I would love to try them, but at least I can get canned artichokes that I love immensely.
This Chicken Artichoke Pasta exceeded my highest expectations. All the ingredients go so well together. You get the , you get the crunchiness from asparagus, you get the flavor from sun-dried tomatoes and the fantastic aroma from the basil! A total winner. By the way, I slightly adapted this recipe from the amazing “Everyday Pasta” book by Giada De Laurentiis. If you are a fan of pasta, just like me, this book is a treasure!
I made this pasta for my family get together yesterday and got many compliments. The skillet got empty really fast. One bite and you will fall in love with it, I promise you.
- 3/4 cup drained sun-dried tomatoes , sliced, 2 tablespoons of oil reserved
- 1 lb (450g) boneless skinless chicken breast halves , cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 14oz. or 400g can artichoke hearts , drained, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup asparagus , cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves , chopped
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 12 oz (340g) penne pasta , uncooked
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 8 oz. (225g) mozzarella , cubed
- salt and pepper , to taste
- Heat the oil you reserved from sun-dried tomatoes in a large skillet. Add the chicken and cook until no longer pink. Transfer the cooked chicken to a plate. Add the artichokes, asparagus, and garlic and cook for few minutes, over medium-high heat, until the garlic is tender.
- Add the broth, wine, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, and cook until the sauce slightly reduces, for about 8 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook your pasta, according to the package instructions.
- Add the pasta, cooked chicken, Parmesan, basil, and parsley to the artichoke-asparagus mixture. Toss until the sauce is almost absorbed by the pasta. Stir in the mozzarella cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!