Brighten up your dinner table with colorful and vibrant Chicken Afritada with Pineapple. This Spanish-inspired Filipino dish features chicken simmered with various vegetables in a flavorful tomato sauce. It’s guaranteed to become your new favorite!
*Note: This Pineapple Chicken Afritada first appeared on February 1, 2014. As it’s one of the most popular recipes on Yummy Addiction, I decided to update the post with new pictures and a video!
Chicken has always been the favorite type of meat in my family, hands down. It’s lean, it’s tender, it’s super versatile. However, lately, I am sick and tired of the same chicken dishes over and over. I mean, Chicken Scallopini on one day, Chicken Teriyaki Stir Fry on another day occasionally going with Chicken Macaroni Salad for a lighter dinner. Sounds great, right? It sure does but we all need to freshen things up from time to time.
I am looking for new and unexplored chicken dishes all the time. Pinterest, Youtube, Google, you name it. Some experiments fail (to be frank, the majority of them) but sometimes I do find a real gem that makes it all worth it. Today is the day when I want to share my latest crush with you, guys. Meet Chicken Afritada with pineapple!
This Spanish-inspired Filipino dish is usually made with chicken or pork simmered in tomato sauce with various vegetables. In my case, it’s chicken with potatoes, bell peppers, onions, pineapple, and green beans. What a combination! Just look at all these colors. Vibrant, colorful, and crazy delicious!
Chicken Afritada is really easy to make and the taste is GORGEOUS! Perfectly tender chicken, delicious sauce, yummy veggies… I fried potatoes, carrots, and bell pepper separately before adding them to the dish. The reason – this way the veggies don’t absorb the sauce and have a different texture which brings a bit of a different flavor to this meal. Such a simple trick but it works!
I just HAD to share it with you all! Don’t forget to share it with others 😉
Have a great weekend!
Chicken Afritada With Pineapple
- 2 lb (900g) chicken drumsticks , skin on
- 3-4 small potatoes , peeled and cubed
- 1 carrot , chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper , sliced into strips
- 3 cloves garlic , chopped
- 1 red onion , chopped
- 1 14 oz. (400g) can tomato puree
- 1 8 oz. (225g) can pineapple chunks , reserve syrup, drained
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 1/2 cup green peas
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 6 tablespoons cooking oil , divided
- In a big pan over medium heat, heat 4 tablespoons of oil. Add potatoes and cook for about 1 minute. Then add carrot and cook for about 2 minutes. Add bell pepper and cook for about 1 minute. Remove all vegetables from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Warm the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the same pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Then add chicken and brown it slightly. Add the tomato puree, pineapple syrup, soy sauce, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the chicken is almost tender. Stir occasionally.
- Add potatoes, yellow bell pepper, carrots, and pineapple chunks and continue to cook for 5-6 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked. Add the green peas, season with salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes more. Serve hot. Enjoy!