Pumpkin is definitely one of my most favorite things about Fall! I don’t know about you, but I absolutely love pumpkin baked treats. One of them is pumpkin roll. I adore a good pumpkin roll but… I confess. I’m too lazy to make it myself. It looks like A LOT of work to me. These pumpkin roll bars are something else. You don’t need to put very much effort into making these and they are just as delicious as a pumpkin roll! No hard work anymore!
I recently came across this brilliant idea on (where else?!) Pinterest. What would I do without it? Like many others, I spend too much time on Pinterest just pinning delicious food pictures. It’s a mild obsession of mine. But a worthwhile one, with plenty of great ideas. Like this one!
These pumpkin roll bars with cream cheese swirl are super moist and so flavorful. Cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves – all fall spices in one bar. They are the perfect fall treat to satisfy everyone’s pumpkin cravings. I still love pumpkin roll but these bars are absolutely incredible if you are looking for an easier version of this classic dessert.
If you are a pumpkin fan, you definitely have to try these yummy bars. I haven’t found anyone who doesn’t love them!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups pumpkin puree (I used homemade)
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
Cream Cheese Filling:
- 8 oz. (225g) cream cheese , softened
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and salt. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl, whisk the eggs and sugars until combined. Whisk in the pumpkin puree, oil, buttermilk and vanilla. Stir in the dry ingredients until combined. Spread about 2/3 of the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Set aside.
- In a bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat cream cheese, egg, sugar and vanilla until fully incorporated and smooth, scraping down the sides if necessary.
- Spread this cream cheese mixture evenly over the pumpkin batter. Dollop the remaining pumpkin batter over the cream cheese layer. Take a butter knife and gently swirl the batter. Sprinkle the walnuts over the top, and using a spatula, gently press into the batter.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the center of the pumpkin batter is set and springs back when touched. Remove from oven and let cool completely in pan on a cooling rack. Cut into squares and serve.
- Store these pumpkin roll bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator.