If you are looking for a quick & easy weeknight dinner, this Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Pasta is everything you need. This pasta is creamy, it is packed with veggies, and it’s really filling!
There are many food trends happening in the United States all the time. Chia, kale, quinoa, keto diet, paleo, to name a few. One trend follows another and you can see that by browsing through recipes on Pinterest. Keeping in mind that the majority of the content on Pinterest is from the U.S. sometimes you can (falsely) assume that those trends are rocking the food scene all over the globe. Wrong!
We, people living in the small non-English speaking countries, sometimes don’t even hear about them until a year or two pass. I mean, if you are not an active Pinterest user of course. I am, so I catch up with the trends pretty quickly but then another problem arises. You can’t find those “trendy” products in local shops. Maybe it will be hard for you to believe, dear Americans, but we didn’t have chia or quinoa available at all while you were already stuffing tons of them into your stomachs. We have them now, though. When the trend almost stopped in the United States, it only starts its way in my country, ha ha!
When things like that happen, I order stuff from the internet because I want to try those Pinterest-popular foods so bad! That’s exactly how I ended up buying a bottle of Cajun spice almost a year ago and got acquainted with the Cajun cuisine. Maybe it’s not even a trend, maybe it’s something that has been around for quite a while but in my country, nobody has ever heard the word Cajun. I am pretty sure about that.
That bottle of Cajun spice was gathering dust in my drawer up until the last month when I finally decided to try cooking with it and started experimenting. And you know what? I love it! This spice mix is freaking amazing. It gets pretty spicy if you overdo it, though. One of my go-to recipes is this fantastic Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Pasta. I mean, shrimp, sausage, and pasta in one dish are already worth applauding but Cajun makes everything even better.
Besides the ingredients mentioned above, this pasta also includes bell peppers, tomatoes, heavy cream, and everything is topped with Parmesan cheese! One of my most favorite weeknight dinners lately. So easy and quick to throw together and so delicious… I made it yesterday but it’s already gone and I want more. I need to hide this deliciousness from my hubby next time because he is guilty for gobbling the bigger part of it!
Seriously, guys. This Cajun shrimp and sausage pasta is magical. It is guaranteed to brighten your evening mood after a hard day at work. Oh, I forgot to mention that it’s one-pot so you’ll avoid a pile of dishes in the sink. Isn’t it super awesome? Try this goodness and let me know how you liked it in the comments section below!
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 1 lb (450g) shrimp , peeled and deveined
- 12 oz. (340g) linguine , fettuccine, or other long pasta
- 1 onion , minced
- 1 red bell pepper , diced
- 1 green bell pepper , diced
- 3 cloves garlic , chopped
- 1 cup diced seeded tomatoes
- 1/2 lb (225g) andouille sausage or kielbasa , sliced
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2/3 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- parsley , for garnish
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Season the shrimp with salt and pepper. In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter and cook for 1-2 minutes per side, until no longer translucent. Remove from the pan and cover with foil.
- In the same skillet, heat 2 remaining tablespoons butter and add the onion and bell peppers. Cook for 3-5 minutes. Now add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more. Then, add the tomatoes.
- Add the sausage and cook for another 1-2 minutes, stirring. Now add the cajun seasoning, thyme, oregano, and mix well. Pour in chicken stock, heavy cream, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix once again.
- Add the cooked shrimp and pasta and toss to coat. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Add more salt and pepper, if needed. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve. Enjoy!