I love making cupcakes so much because it’s fun and the only limit is your imagination. So this time I have something special for you!
A cupcake with banana cream filling, vanilla frosting, chocolate ganache and that perfect cherry on top… How cute did these turn out?
A week ago while I was surfing Pinterest I saw a picture of the banana split and it inspired me to make these little guys. Yes, I am one of those who are addicted to Pinterest… I know it. But such tasty photos like this one always force me to click on the “PIN” button and I can’t control myself.
Everyone knows that the banana and chocolate combination is pure heaven so you can’t go wrong with it. These banana split cupcakes are so fluffy and yummy, and I bet you want to know how to bake them yourself!
So first we have to make the banana cupcakes. You will need three separate bowls. One for flour mixture. One for sugar mixture. And one for buttermilk mixture. Now combine all mixtures together and pour this cupcake batter into cupcake liners, filling each three-quarters full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes and voila!
Now it’s time for banana cream filling. You can skip this step, if you want to. But I actually can’t imagine these cupcakes without the banana cream filling because it makes me feel like I am tasting a real banana split… Mmmm…
So follow the recipe below in order to make the filling. The final result should be a thick consistency like in the picture below.
Well, I chose to make a buttercream vanilla frosting and I think it’s a great choice because it goes well with all our flavors. While making chocolate ganache I didn’t add any flavorings so the bitterness of chocolate and sweetness of vanilla frosting rolled together to perfection!
Finally to make these cupcakes taste like regular banana splits even more, I garnished them with Maraschino cherries.
They are so adorable, aren’t they?
These cupcakes are so insanely delicious! If you take a bite of this yumminess, you will want more, and more…
So what are you waiting for? Pin, Like, Repin… And don’t forget to follow me on Pinterest! 😉
For the cupcakes:
- 1 1/2 cups (150g) all-purpose flour , sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder , sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 1 cup (220g) sugar
- 2 eggs , at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium mashed ripe banana
- 1/4 cup (65ml) buttermilk
For the banana cream filling:
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup (30g) all-purpose flour
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 1 egg yolk , beaten
- 1 small banana , mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
For the vanilla frosting:
- 1 cup (227g) butter , at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream , chilled
- 1 cup (120g) powdered sugar , sifted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 oz. (113g) dark chocolate , chopped
- 1/4 cup (65ml) heavy cream
- 12 Maraschino cherries
- Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake tray with paper liners. In a separate bowl, blend flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter, sugar and vanilla extract, until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Set aside. In a small bowl, combine mashed banana and buttermilk. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix after each addition. Fill the cupcake liners three-quarters full with cupcake batter. Bake the cupcakes for 20 to 25 minutes, or until they’re golden brown and cooked through. Cool the cupcakes completely.
- Banana cream filling: In a separate bowl, blend flour, sugar and salt. In a separate saucepan, heat milk over medium heat till hot, but not boiling. Slowly stir in the flour mixture and simmer or 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and stir in the egg yolk. Heat again for 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously. Remove from the heat, and let cool. Stir in mashed banana and lemon juice, until well combined.
- Vanilla frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, until light and fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar a little at the time, beating on medium speed until well mixed. It takes about 2 minutes or so. Beat in the heavy cream, vanilla and lemon juice. Continue beating until the frosting reaches the desired consistency, about 4 minutes.
- Chocolate ganache: Heat chopped choclate in a small saucepan over medium heat until chocolate is melted. Set aside. In a small saucepan, heat heavy cream until just about boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and pour hot cream over chocolate. Stir to blend well. Allow to cool.
- To assemble the cupcakes: Cut out the center of each cupcake with a sharp knife. Fill the cupcakes with the banana cream filling. Transfer the frosting to a piping bag fitted with a decorative tip. Pipe frosting into a swirl on each cupcake. Drizzle each cupcake with chocolate ganache and garnish with a Maraschino cherry.